self-build junk rig dinghy plans

  • p4lizzy
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
      Can anyone recommend plans for a small junk-rigged dinghy that would be suitable for a home build in a back yard? I'm thinking of something fairly simple and straightforward, along the lines of the Mirror dinghy lots of people were building when I was a kid. I'd like to build something similar with my son and for him to then be able to sail the boat. I've seen various plans for small boats, and I've seen some pretty small junk-rigged dinghies, but not sure if there are pre-existing plans for one that would take the guesswork out of modifying a design for something with a more "traditional" dinghy rig.

      I'm looking for something quite small too, so that two of us could easily carry it and get it on a car roof rack. The boat would only need to carry one person, maybe an occasional 2 at the most. Probably 8-10 feet/2.5-3 metres long?

      Many thanks

      Paul
    • Arne Kverneland, Norway
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
        Stavanger, Wednesday

        Paul.
        I suggest you check up the Puddle Duck Racer, either by searching for pdracer on Google or YouTube. I can hardly think of a small dinghy which better combine...
        • ease of building
        • easy handling and
        • decent performance
        The fact that it can carry two people is just a bonus.
        See for yourself.

        As for junk rig I suggest you have a look at my dinghy "Broremann"s sail plan. You find it under...

        Files/Arne K...'s Files/Sail Plans/.

        In the same section you'll find more basic info about the JR and how I made Broremann's sail.

        Broremann's sail is a bit big at 10sqm but if you cut off the 2 lower panels, you end up with 7sqm which that boat should handle, considering the easy reefing of the sail. You could of course also down-scale the whole sail to your liking. Notice that sheet 3 of the sail plan contains info on how to cut each panel to get camber in the sail. This sail plan is not a paper tiger; I have made it and can ensure you that it really works.

        Good luck!

        Arne

        --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "p4lizzy" <pauldouglas99@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone recommend plans for a small junk-rigged dinghy that would be suitable for a home build in a back yard? I'm thinking of something fairly simple and straightforward, along the lines of the Mirror dinghy lots of people were building when I was a kid. I'd like to build something similar with my son and for him to then be able to sail the boat. I've seen various plans for small boats, and I've seen some pretty small junk-rigged dinghies, but not sure if there are pre-existing plans for one that would take the guesswork out of modifying a design for something with a more "traditional" dinghy rig.
        >
        > I'm looking for something quite small too, so that two of us could easily carry it and get it on a car roof rack. The boat would only need to carry one person, maybe an occasional 2 at the most. Probably 8-10 feet/2.5-3 metres long?
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Paul

      • Slieve
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
          How about home built Optimist? It is possible to download the plans from the web, and build one to an adequate standard for experimenting with, but without getting it fully up to class measurement standard. If you did that you could compare the performance with some of the local boats to see just how good (or bad) your rig was.
          Cheers
          Slieve

        • Mark Hamill
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
            There are so many boats out there for sale--how about just buying one?? Unless you want the experience of building from scratch--then you could just concentrate on the rig and get out on the water much faster. MarkH
            .

          • steve
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
              there is a revised version of the pdr which may be worth a look at
              http://backyardboatbuilding.org.uk/forums/jwdocs/KiwiPDR.html

              if you go down that route.
            • frank hall
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2010
                I got planes off the internet for a 8' dinghy called  "The brick" it has a junk-
                rig. it turned out good  and the plans included all details for both dighy and
                sail. the web site is www.pdracer.com     hope this helps.  regards
                granpopmaggot2003.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2010
                  Many thanks to everyone who replied.

                  I take the point about buying a cheap dinghy but I really do want to try building it with my son - a bit of male bonding going on at the same time as all that plywood bonding :)

                  I think some variant of the PDR will fit my needs very well: ultra cheap and simple and if it works out and we enjoy it, we could try something a bit more demanding in the future.

                  Obviously one or two people have already tried junk rigging one of these but I will probably be back asking for more advice some time in the new year! It will have to be a back yard build and since there are several inches of snow out there at the moment we might have wait a while to get started.

                  Anyway, thanks again

                  Paul

                  --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, frank hall <granpopmaggot2003@...> wrote:

                  > I got planes off the internet for a 8' dinghy called  "The brick" it has a junk-
                  > rig. it turned out good  and the plans included all details for both dighy and
                  > sail. the web site is www.pdracer.com     hope this helps.  regards
                  > granpopmaggot2003.

                • Steve Studley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2010
                    Might check out the PDGoose site. Can be built out of 5 sheets of plywood,
                    built in air boxes and enough room for 2 people with ease, and will accept
                    any rig you put on it.