Re: After seven years, Sea Elf is finaly back in the water!

  • Slieve
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hi
      Thanks for showing the photos of Sea Elf. It looks as if you are doing a nice job to a nice boat. Well done. I also like the look of your dinghy. Could you give some details of the design please as I have a friend who has asked me for a simple to build design and yours looks ideal, and possibly better than the one I have drawn up for him?
      Regards
      Slieve

      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "wa4chq" <wa4chq@...> wrote:

      > I launched Sea Elf today.
    • Alan Schaaf
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2010
        Yes, Thanks for sharing!

        We are Happy for you.

        Enjoy!

        Alan

        --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com <mailto:junkrig%40yahoogroups.com> , "wa4chq"
        <wa4chq@...> wrote:

        > I launched Sea Elf today.

      • wa4chq
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
          Good morning, Slieve.
          Thanks for the nice comments. The dinghy is the fifth one I've built, but the first I've rigged for sail. The design shows it just as a rowing pram. It is called "Midge" and I found it in a boatbuilding book called "Boatbuilding in your Backyard" by Sam Rabl. I modified it slightly because some of the materials called for were all they had in the 1940's-1950's. I don't have a scanner but I can take a picture of the plans for you if you'd like. They row and tow beautifully and now I'm happy to say, sail wonderfully too.
          all the best,
          Neil

          --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Slieve" <slieve@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > Thanks for showing the photos of Sea Elf. It looks as if you are doing a nice job to a nice boat. Well done. I also like the look of your dinghy. Could you give some details of the design please as I have a friend who has asked me for a simple to build design and yours looks ideal, and possibly better than the one I have drawn up for him?
          > Regards
          > Slieve
          >
          > --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "wa4chq" <wa4chq@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I launched Sea Elf today.

        • wa4chq
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
            Thanks! For seven years, I've been looking up at her like from the eyes of a fish. It's nice to look at her from a normal view!
            Neil

            --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "savell8" <savell8@...> wrote:

            > Congradulations ! Sea Elf looks like she has very sea-kindly lines, I'm looking forward to the next steps.
            >
            > SV Metaphor
            >
            > --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "wa4chq" <wa4chq@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I launched Sea Elf today. It has been quite a journey. I still have more things to do, but at least I'm in the water! I've uploaded some pictures for anyone interested. Sea Elf is/was a Nicholson 32, built in 1964. I bought her in 1995. She was heavily damaged during a marina fire in 2003. Well, the next thing is to crank the engine up then start getting the masts on....then go sailing....

          • wa4chq
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
              Thank you very much Alan! Take care.
              Neil