Re: [junkrig] Where to find junk-rigged Stitch & Glue boat plans or kits?

  • Wally Paine
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
      I spoke to the proprietor of Selway Fisher (Mr Selway? Mr. Fisher? I forget) at a boat show some years ago. He gave me to understand that though "pure" stitch and glue was ideal for small boats as they got bigger some framing was beneficial. I don't remember if the reasons were economic, structural or ease of building.
      Wally Paine

      From: Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...>

      To: junkrig@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 7:51 AM

      Actually Harold "Dynamite" Payson, longtime friend of Phil Bolger has recently revived some very cool dory designs which he added to his www.instantboats.com  web page.  scroll down for the link or just go here  http://instantboats.com/downeastdories/ for up to 26 feet.  These have minimal rigging and could be easily made into unstayed masts.

      Andrew

      From: Steve Studley <sstudley1@...>

      To: junkrig@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 6:17 AM

      Add 2 foot and get Badger? <http://www.benford.us/dories/34.html>

      On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM, dantinucci <dantinucci@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,

      > can't seem to find a source for stitch and glue plans or kits (obviously

      > junk-rigged) to build my first boat. My ideal is a 28-32 footer, if this is

      > possible, but I am reasonable, so a smaller boat would also do.

      > Can anybody point me in the right direction?

      > Thanks in advance.

      > Ciao for now

      > David

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Andres Espino
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
        I bet you spoke to Paul Fisher.. he was kind enough to even answer an email I sent about their designs.  The reasons for framing on most larger ocean going vessels is structural integrity.

        Stitch and glue is supposed to be the simplest construction and its great for dingy or small sailboats.  Wood over frame is standard for larger boats and usually over a strongback or a Jig.

        A third and easier method has involved called "Instant Boatbuilding" of which Bolger had a great part.  You cut out bulkheads from plywood and fasten wooden framing around the outside.  stand up all the bulkheads in a row on the floor and attach plywood panels.

        Harond "Dynamite" Payson of www.instantboats.com  collaborated with Phil Bolger for a bunch of his designs....
        INSTANT BOATS

        are designed by Marine Architect Phil Bolger so that you
        can build and launch a smart and handsome sailer in 40
        working hours or less!

        Can you saw a penciled line... apply glue ... drive
        screws? Could you build a box? If so, you can build your own
        INSTANT BOAT. But it won't be a box. The genius of Phil
        Bolger guarantees that your completed craft will boast a
        pleasing sheer and graceful flare. Both looks and
        performance are designed right into these highly efficient
        rowing and sailing craft.

        Why is it so easy? For one thing, all the complex
        drudgery of lofting lines and building a jig have been
        designed right out of every INSTANT BOAT. The lofting has
        been done for you. Nor will you have to build two boats to
        get one, which is just about what making a jig turns boat
        building into.

        You start right in cutting readily available plywood
        sheets to pre-computed patterns, and before you know it you
        will be fastening them together ... all your basic assembly
        virtually complete. If you are just "average handy" with
        tools, you can beat the 40-hour schedule mentioned above . .
        . and be on the water in five working days or less.
        Hope you find that interesting...
        Andrew

        From: Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...>

        To: junkrig@yahoogroups.com

        From: Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@...>

        To: junkrig@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 7:51 AM

        From: Steve Studley <sstudley1@...>

        To: junkrig@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 6:17 AM

        Add 2 foot and get Badger? <http://www.benford.us/dories/34.html>

        On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM, dantinucci <dantinucci@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,

        > can't seem to find a source for stitch and glue plans or kits (obviously

        > junk-rigged) to build my first boat. My ideal is a 28-32 footer, if this is

        > possible, but I am reasonable, so a smaller boat would also do.

        > Can anybody point me in the right direction?

        > Thanks in advance.

        > Ciao for now

        > David

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Steve Studley
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
          "pure" stitch and glue is not reasonable in a 26' to 32' sailboat. It brings
          monolithic hull/ or origami hull to mind. Metal with welding as stiching...
          So gave the nearest approximation, at that size there is a bit of work
          involved, probably twice as much for the 32' then the 26' too.
          Really depends on what the purpose of the boat is; coastal weekending or
          bluewater cruising... or just plain daysailing.
          All that was said was first built junk-rigged, and we all tried.
          Also forgot, might just be to build boats, there are some people who would
          rather build than sail, and they still enjoy sailing, they just really
          enjoy building boats.

          On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Wally Paine <wgpaine@...> wrote:

          > I spoke to the proprietor of Selway Fisher (Mr Selway? Mr. Fisher? I
          > forget) at a boat show some years ago. He gave me to understand that though
          > "pure" stitch and glue was ideal for small boats as they got bigger some
          > framing was beneficial. I don't remember if the reasons were economic,
          > structural or ease of building.
          > Wally Paine

        • Donal
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
            Consider Tom MacNaughton's Silver Gull series. Plywood. Simple.

            Such as:

            http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/silver_gull_19.htm
          • James G. Jones
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
              Sam Devlin (http://www.devlinboat.com) has probably pushed the boundaries of
              stitch & glue as far as anyone, and quite successfully.

              -Jim

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
                Those definitely extend my ideas of stitch n glue, now for adding a junk-rig
                to 1 of choice and you really have something as requested.
                Thanks for the link.
                As a boatbuilder, I love new sites for good builds. My only problem is I'm
                willingly stuck with multihulls and I actually hope that the one in the
                backyard is the last large one I build for myself.

                On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM, James G. Jones <jgj254@...> wrote:

                > Sam Devlin (http://www.devlinboat.com) has probably pushed the boundaries
                > of
                > stitch & glue as far as anyone, and quite successfully.
                >
                > -Jim

              • William Longyard
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
                  I built the basic hull in only 10 days. It is low cost, and sails great. I keep mine in my garage.

                  Bill Longyard

                  http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/longyard/luckytown/index.htm

                • steve
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2, 2010
                    john welsford has a few junk rigged designs [ply over stringers], but under 20 ft I think. jwboatdesigns.co.nz

                    there are active yahoo groups for welsford and selway-fisher so well worth chatting on those.

                    Building a 30ft boat is a massive undertaking, I have come across lots of builders taking years to complete a 15 footer

                    best of luck

                    steve

                    --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "dantinucci" <dantinucci@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > can't seem to find a source for stitch and glue plans or kits (obviously junk-rigged) to build my first boat. My ideal is a 28-32 footer, if this is possible, but I am reasonable, so a smaller boat would also do.
                    >
                    > Can anybody point me in the right direction?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance.
                    >
                    > Ciao for now
                    > David

                  • dantinucci
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2010
                      I really appreciate everybody's input. Taking into account the various information you have given me I believe I should stick with something around the 15-20 ft range, if I want to finish it and want my novice skills to make a boat that sails ok).

                      The designs on most of the sites mentioned are, to my amateur eye, equally good/feasible. I think I might try to go with something which is already planned for the junk rig so I don't add onto my lack of experience the difficulty and unknowns of the added design and build complexity. Unfortunately the plans ready for the junk rig seem to be the smaller ones, but...gotta start somewhere.

                      Seems that stitch and glue and a small and simple ply on frame (or instant-boat build) might be almost equally complex techniques, so this broadens the range of possibilities a bit.

                      Also, only few sites have metric measurements and, being in Italy, it would have been nice to find more of them (perhaps a good idea for those who offer them?)

                      I thank everybody again for all your great input.

                      David

                      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <stevepallen@...> wrote:

                      > john welsford has a few junk rigged designs [ply over stringers], but under 20 ft I think. jwboatdesigns.co.nz
                      >
                      > there are active yahoo groups for welsford and selway-fisher so well worth chatting on those.
                      >
                      > Building a 30ft boat is a massive undertaking, I have come across lots of builders taking years to complete a 15 footer
                      >
                      > best of luck
                      >
                      > steve
                      >
                      > --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "dantinucci" <dantinucci@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi all,
                      > >
                      > > can't seem to find a source for stitch and glue plans or kits (obviously junk-rigged) to build my first boat. My ideal is a 28-32 footer, if this is possible, but I am reasonable, so a smaller boat would also do.
                      > >
                      > > Can anybody point me in the right direction?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks in advance.
                      > >
                      > > Ciao for now
                      > > David

                    • junkrigsailor
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 4, 2010
                        You can find a pretty little minimum offshore cruiser here: http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=AD16 which does include a junk rig option. However, you'll want to ignore the designer's mistaken belief that a junk sail should be built flat and go with an Arne K. sail. These plans do come in metric.
                        If you don't embarrass easily and all you want is some experience with a junk sail, you could build a Puddle Duck Racer, 8' x 4' and incredibly cheap and quick. http://pdracer.com/ It's strictly a just for fun little boat, but it wouldn't take long or cost much. When you were done with it you could give it to a local child.
                        Cheers,
                        Jeff