zebedee joining group

  • alan Martienssen
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2010
      Hi All,just a first message.I live aboard Zebedee,sistership of badger.I m anchored in river Santubong Sarawak,at the moment.I have Badgers old sails made of Sunbrella,made flat.I have no engine but a yuloh ,which I m modifying at the moment.the curved part of the blade was made on top,and I m changing this so the curved part is underneath.I was very interested to read in the last JRA about yuloh designs and would very much like to try out their ideas.I m also very interested in baggy panels especially as per Arnie which seems a really easy way to make sails.zebedees sails are doing fine at the moment so I cant justify the expense of changing!But if anyone has made sails Arne s way out of Sunbrella... Looking forward to reading more on this site. Alan Martienssen PS I often dont have good access to a computer,so please excuse the times when I take a while to answer.
    • Gerald
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 9:04 AM
        Hi Alan,

        Welcome to the group and thanks for introducing yourself so fully.

        With best wishes,

        Gerry.

        Group Moderator

        --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, alan Martienssen <sv_zebedee@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,just a first message.I live aboard Zebedee,sistership of badger.I m anchored in river Santubong Sarawak,at the moment.I have Badgers old sails made of Sunbrella,made flat.I have no engine but a yuloh ,which I m modifying at the moment.the curved part of the blade was made on top,and I m changing this so the curved part is underneath.I was very interested to read in the last JRA about yuloh designs and would very much like to try out their ideas.I m also very interested in baggy panels especially as per Arnie which seems a really easy way to make sails.zebedees sails are doing fine at the moment so I cant justify the expense of changing!But if anyone has made sails Arne s way out of Sunbrella... Looking forward to reading more on this site. Alan Martienssen PS I often dont have good access to a computer,so please excuse the times when I take a while to answer.

      • Slieve
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 2:34 PM
          Hi Alan
          It's good to hear from you. I hope you liked the photos of Zebedee in the previous JRA Newsletter, no. 53. They were taken by David Black (Calabar), whom I have known since the 1950's. We joined him and Barbara for a week in Antigua earlier this year. David is currently bringing Calabar ashore in Trinidad for the windy season.
          Good luck with the yuloh, and let's hear how you get on with it. Regarding Arne's sails, I think you would be surprised at how much better your performance would be when you upgraded to a copy. Once you try cambered sails you won't want anything less.
          Cheers
          Slieve

[...]

        • sae140
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2 5:17 AM
            --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, alan Martienssen <sv_zebedee@...> wrote:

            > I have no engine but a yuloh ,which I m modifying at the moment.the curved part of the blade was made on top,and I m changing this so the curved part is underneath.I was very interested to read in the last JRA about yuloh designs and would very much like to try out their ideas.

            You may also find US Patent 7223140 (Improved sculling oar, Yuloh, Ro-Scull) to be of interest. I've uploaded a copy into /Files.
          • alan Martienssen
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2 8:05 PM
              Hi Slieve,many thanks for the infosay hello to david and barbara for me,I really enjoyed the N Irish humour!.Has anyone used dacron with Arnies method particularly his way of doing the batten pockets?I just wondered if the stiffer cloth made that harder(prehaps just make the pocket bigger?)I ve been looking at prices of Sunbrella and Duradon(which seems almost impossible to get) and dacron may be alot cheaper.Just finished the yuloh,now ready for painting.I m also putting a extra handle sticking upwards .I ve been using a G clamp.It means that i can easily vary the angle and still be able to use 2 hands for the propulsion,the hand on the G clamp not going against the other hand.With the chinese system the hand on the lanyard goes against the hand on the yuloh but maybe thats because the main curvature on mine is just aft of the towball..I d really like to see Easy Go s yuloh,and I may get up that way in a couple of years!I m trying to get around to
              writng up zebedees travels. All the very best Alan

[...]

            • gary
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2 8:58 PM
                Alan, Have a look at Odyssey III cloth. It weights around 11 oz and is a
                good price.
                Gary