Re: [junkrig] L plates

  • Victor Winterthun
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hi Ken.

      To learn the basic about the junk rig, you may read the book Practical Junk Rig by Hasler and Mc Leod. Or you can buy Mc. Leod's "Design Folios".
      His Address is:.
      J. K. Mc Leod
      Hawk Hill,
      Rosemarkie,
      Ross-Shire,
      Scotland.
    • Gene Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
        > I'm planning on building a 40ft retirement boat and have been taken up
        with
        > the stories on the ease of control that a junk rig gives. I know
        absolutely
        > nothing about this type of rig and would appreciate any reading that
        anyone
        > can direct me to. Any free tutorials on the web or info of any kind on
        this
        > type of rig.
        >
        > Ken

        Ken, the finest bibliography and additional tutorial material is to be found
        at:
        http://www2.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/

        It is a webpage maintained by Craig O'donnell, who is a member of this list.
        Go to the above URL and click on "Chinese Lugsails." As for the books he
        mentions, Interlibrary Loan is the best method to have a look at things you
        can't afford to just buy. If you are unfamiliar with this process, go check
        out information at your local library - a great resource.

        Just one additional note: the rig espoused by Hasler and Mc Leod, and
        described in detail in "Practical Junk Rig" is not a Chinese traditional
        design. They do away with some Chinese aspects in the name of simplicity
        and rate it an improvement. Traditionalists like Tom Colvin would probably
        not agree. I'm sure that some reading time will give you an idea of what
        the arguments for various configurations of the junksail are, and help you
        decide what's best for your application. Good luck, and have fun hunting up
        the answers to your questions!

        Gene Smith
      • info@bote.com.au
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
          I am currently away from my office and won't be able to answer your email for about 10 days
          however your message has been received, you should get a response from me if required on Wednesday the 10th of April.

          I will be at the Melbourne Home Electronics Show 4-7th of April.

          If you need information urgently - please email either donna@... or Matt@....
          You could also phone or fax the office - phone 02 6550 2254 and fax 02 6550 2341.

          Thank you

          Regards

          Peter Stein