Re: Mast Tabernacles

  • jhess314
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 1, 2010
      Thank you Steve and Paul, for photo link and comments. I recall that Annie Hill mentioned in her book "Voyaging...' that she wished they had had tabernacled masts on Badger so that they could more readily make repairs and alterations on the masts without having to climb the masts. It's not clear to me how Pete could easily lower China Moon's masts without there being a hinge?

      Paul, you wouldn't by any chance know why Pete sold China Moon? Was China Moon just too big of a boat for one person, or did he prefer monohulls?

      Happy New Year,
      John

      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "Paul T. Howard" <pault_howard@...> wrote:

      > From what I recall and from a few snapshots (no detail)China Moon's tabernacles were three sided boxes, with the open side forward, made from what appears to be 3/4" plywood, epoxied and painted.
      > The masts did not pivot, but the mast foot was placed in the box on a support, then raised in place and some brackets and bolts held it in place.
      >
      > I have seen junk rigs with mast tabernacles that were about six feet high above the deck, with the mast pivoting near the top and the mast foot a couple feet above the deck. Thus the sail bundle could be lowered to the deck and the mast pivoted with the sail bundle in place, then when the mast was back upright the sail bundle could be slid up over the tabernacle and onto the mast with only the adjustment of lazy jacks, mast lift, etc.
      >

      > Paul

    • Paul Calvert
      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 2, 2010
        Thanks Paul,

        That sounds an amazing voyage.... especially the most northerly and most southerly bits.

        '...havent the heart to start cutting...' I can understand that! ..so you could 'try out' a biplane rig with load spreading tabernacles on deck ...and some of Arne's cambered sails

        sorry, just trying to tempt you!

        best regards

        Paul C