Re: New file uploaded to junkrig

  • jcuknz
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
      I concur .... and wonder why the average person needs a CAD programme when drawings can be sent in something simple and common like GIF without being a huge file. As Paul knows I have just received QCAD Pro but that, to me, is for originating rather than transmitting except to people who I know have a CAD programme, not that I want to inflame the situation so ignore me :-)

      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, David Joseph <davidbjoseph@...> wrote:

      > Wow! This is getting really unfriendly. Can I suggest that everyone take a
      > deep breath.
      >
      > David

    • arne_kverneland_norway
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
        Stavanger, Tue

        I agree.
        Unless I am to co-design something with someone living far away, I see no reason for bothering with the DXF or DWG sort of files.
        These days I am slowly working my way through the QCAD manual. This is more like a good old course manual, say in Word Perfect , Word or Excel. I have now come to Part IV on p.162 out of 246 (218 really; the last part on projections I don't need now).
        Ok, ok, I have made a couple of sidesteps to the last part about printing and exporting to other file formats:

        Printing is wonderfully easy. Drawing has all the time been done in 1:1 scale (I just zoom in and out between details and overview). For printing one chooses a scale where the drawing fits within the printer's paper format, say 1:50. The printer preview function lets one move the drawing around on the preview "paper" until it looks good. The amazing thing is that when checking the printout with a 1:50 scale, it is bang on! I can also print it to an Adobe (PDF) file, as easy as that.

        The standard export "bitmap" or photo format is called PNG. I hadn't heard about it, but all my photo programs handle it. The QCAD then asks for wanted resolution, and once set (say 3000 x 4000pix) the resulting PNG file comes out nice and tidy – and surprisingly small. In QCAD I hide a number of helping lines in a special "layer" which I just turn off before printing or exporting.

        I am glad I asked this list for help to find a CAD program. I don't know if QCAD is the best program, but it surely will do the job for me. To anyone who wants to try CAD for the first time I strongly recommend going for a program with a real manual.
        Special thanks to Paul Thompson for help in the beginning!

        Arne

        --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "jcuknz" <jcuknz@...> wrote:

        > I concur .... and wonder why the average person needs a CAD programme when drawings can be sent in something simple and common like GIF without being a huge file. As Paul knows I have just received QCAD Pro but that, to me, is for originating rather than transmitting except to people who I know have a CAD programme, not that I want to inflame the situation so ignore me :-)

      • sae140
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 2, 2009
          --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, "jcuknz" <jcuknz@...> wrote:

          > I concur .... and wonder why the average person needs a CAD programme when drawings can be sent in something simple and common like GIF without being a huge file.

          Or even a .PDF file, which would appear to be the most acceptable 'universal' document format. I've seen some pretty good resolutions with .PDF docs.

          The US Patent Office use .TIFFs which give excellent readability, but of course not everyone has a TIFF viewer.
        • junkrig@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 11, 2014
            Hello,

            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the junkrig
            group.

            File : /Twist0-24.pdf
            Uploaded by : sven98de <sven98de@...>
            Description : Sailcad 8
            Standard sail, lower panel with 0% and 24% Twist

            You can access this file at the URL:

            Regards,

            sven98de <sven98de@...>
          • junkrig@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 6
              Hello,

              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the junkrig
              group.

              File : /Avelinda/514 Junk Sails.jpg
              Uploaded by : ifida2000 <blueketch@...>
              Description : Sail plan

              ifida2000 <blueketch@...>
            • junkrig@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 6
                Hello,

                a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the junkrig
                group.

                File : /Avelinda/514 Key to SP Detail.pdf
                Uploaded by : ifida2000 <blueketch@...>
                Description : page 1

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 6
                  Hello,

                  a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the junkrig
                  group.

                  File : /Avelinda/514 Sail Plan.pdf
                  Uploaded by : ifida2000 <blueketch@...>
                  Description : page 2

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 6
                    Hello,

                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the junkrig
                    group.

                    File : /Avelinda/514 SP Detail.pdf
                    Uploaded by : ifida2000 <blueketch@...>
                    Description : page 3