Re: Yulohs

  • stevepallen
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi
      Thanks for posting the pdf.
      I'm currently building a john welsford sherpa. The Yuloh discussion came up on the list some time ago, and apparently 'wiggling the rudder' propels the boat quite well. Its a standard rudder. I will give it a go when I finish the boat.

      steve

      --- In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, Juergen Hinzen <fjm-hinzen@...> wrote:

      > I know a woman who is using the rudder of the dinghy tp propel it,
      > when leaving. But only for 5 or 10m, before the sail goes up. Didn`t
      > ask her if something special is about it.
      >
      > Juergen
      >
      > Am 31.03.2009 um 21:02 schrieb jcuknz:
      >
      > > Having used an ordinary oar sitting in a socket on the stern of a
      > > dingy to propel us at a reasonable speed I'm guessing that the need
      > > for length is becuase of the height of the yacht's stern above the
      > > water.
      > > Twisting the oar with the wrist. The Yuloh is a much more
      > > sophisticated animal.

    • Bob & Kathy Groves
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 10, 2009
        We have sailed Easy Go with only a sculling oar/yuloh as our secondary propulsion for more than two years now. With some modifications suggested by Slieve it has reached its maximum thrust which pushes our 10 ton junk rigged dory at about 2 knots. With two crossings of the Atlantic along with a passage from the eastern Caribbean of about 900 nm we are now stopped in Port Antonio, Jamaica and are not in any way inclined to put in a motor. We will be building a new oar this summer to the engineering provided by Slieve to see how much more we can improve the performance.

        Deck storage is no problem and certainly easier than retrieving a outboard from a locker. We have the oar stored ahead of its ball and simply slide it back into postion when required. Lashed down to two cleats it has never moved no matter how rough the weather.

        Keeping sailing simple is our primary goal and a yuloh has maintained this philosophy for us.
      • Annie Hill
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 11, 2009
          My friend Alan Martiensen uses a yuloh as his only auxiliary power on
          his 34' 'Badger' design, /Zebedee. /He can make about 2 knots in a flat
          calm. If anyone wants to know more, I can forward an e-mail to him.

          Annie