Re: [junkrig] Homemade junk sail?

  • Gary PIck
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 4, 2002
      Tuchwerkstatt in Greifswald Germany are more than happy to make junk rig
      sails.
      Gary

      On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 16:59 +0000, Gilbert wrote:
      > Hello people,
      >
      > with the remains of highly apprceciated comments in mind I received
      > on
      > this forum regarding the AiT,it's time to move to the next question
      > regarding the use of a junk sail.
      > I had a quote from PolySail for a custom made junk sail and the offer
      > was more than reasonable but with delivery cost from the US to Europe
      > being extreme,the advantage of a cheap sail from the US became....not
      > so appealing anymore.
      > Perhaps it's worth considering the fabrication of my own sail which,
      > besides cost, would have another advantage and that is knowledge.
      > Making your own sail will learn you a lot I guess and the new aquired
      > skills will be of benefit when repairs or a new sail need to be made.
      >
      > Any people here who have experience with making their own junk sail
      > and would like to "throw their 1 cents" at this?
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Gilbert

    • John Tompkins
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 5, 2008
        I wonder if people on this list are aware that the smallest boat to cross
        an
        ocean was under six feet long?

        Yours,
        Wm. Longyard<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

        Yes Wlliam I was aware of that and that the atlantic was crossed twice by
        Lindemann - once in a dug out canoe and once in a wood and canvas Klepper
        (both less than 3feet (1 metre) wide) - and he drank salt water for at
        least part of the way.

        I agree that they should do sea trials in the boats before saiing and when
        they are built I'm sure they all will. No point in starting the race only
        to find you've forgotten to seal the seams.

        But why does this group assume that they wont do trials - give em credit
        for some sense. The fact that Gilbert asked advice doesn't mean he didn't
        know anything - Even Dame Ellen gets the best advice she can before
        setting off on her latest venture.

        Incidentally I see the provision of enough fresh water as being the
        biggest problem for this trip. Washing in salt water all the time is not
        good for us land mamals - sores etc.

        In that respect Gilberts choice of a junk rig is an excellent one - he can
        easily drop a panel and feed rain water back to a collection system.

        JohnT