20227Re: junk rig

  • gefinn_othni
    Mar 5, 2014

      ---In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, <BAD.WABBIT@...> wrote :

      Nope, but I've sailed one a standard one for several seasons.  Are you considering flat or cambered sails?  Seemed to be fully powered up with a genoa in light air, so maybe that's a good sail area amount.  Some weather helm, but not excessive, so maybe the CE is good.  The boat was no fun in a breeze off the wind so reef early.

      On his hoity Droidy

      ok. i seemed to have lost my post. try again.

      i am planning on cambered for best performance. not planning on using a motor. yuloh back up and bahamian sculling oar for marina maneuvers, if needed.

      i got this off of the lean dock. it was abandoned. it came with no sails. so, i am trying to decide on the best sail plan for my use. my crew had never been on any boat til i went to look at this one. she definately has no sailing experience. i have 18 years experience in a 11 foot spritsail dinghy, which i designed and built the sail and rig for ( as well as converting it from a daggerboard to a long shallow keel ). i have 5 years on a 1971 holiday 20. i will be sailing the cal in the chesapeake bay. i have sailed the dinghy on two different lakes and in the bay. i have not sailed the holiday in the bay, yet. only at lake marburg in pa.

      the bay is known for sudden violent squalls. i want a boat that is safely handled in such condiotions by myself, so i don't have to rely on my crew to 'save' us in a pinch. the junk rig, with it's easy reefs, sounds like just the ticket. plus, with one sail, it would be like sailing a big version of my dinghy. the problem it presents, of course, is with mast.

      my other option is a full batten hobie 16 or hobie 18 main and a roller furled jib. it may be that i will set her up this way and sail her while i plan my junk rig and prepare for it.

      it's good to get your feedback about the stock sailing performance of this boat. that will help decide on the sail plan. lots of info available about the, later, 2-27s but almost nothing on these early 27s. i was thinking of using the hobie 18 sail but, if the stock sail has a little weather helm, it might be good to go with the hobie 16 sail. the deep roach on the catamaran sail might increase the weatherhelm.

      your input about this boat is most welcome.

      a few questions:

      first, you say it was fully powered, in light airs, with jenny and main?

      secondly, what made it no fun off the wind?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic