20226RE: junk rig

  • gefinn_othni
    Mar 5, 2014
      cambered. i need a boat that has really good windward ability. my back up motor is probably going to be a yuloh.

      i just got it. bought it off of the lean dock. it was abandoned.  it came with no sails. so, i am exploring possibilities. the person that will be my crew had never even been in a boat before i went to look at this one. she definately has no sailing experience. i have had 18 years experience on both an 11 foot spritsail dinghy and a holiday 20. i am trying to set the boat up to be the safest and most easily handled by myself....that way i don't have to depend on my totally bot inexperienced crew in a pinch.

      the junk rig is very attractive to me, for this reason. easy reefing. one sail so it will be like sailing my dinghy, only bigger. i tend to like' traditional' sails more than the 'modern' bermunda rig.

      my other choice in sail plan is a hobie 18 fully battened main and a roller furled jenny.

      i appreciate the advice on the cal 27 as it's set up stock. that's good to know.

      that will help me decide my sail plan. it's hard to find out anything about these early cal 27s. tons of info on the 2-27. anything you can tell me about the stock performance of this boat will be greatly appreciated. it will help me decide my best course.

      what i might decide to do is to go the hobie sail, now, and sail a season while i plan for a junk rig.

      thanks for the response.

      ---In junkrig@yahoogroups.com, <BAD.WABBIT@...> wrote :

      Nope, but I've sailed one a standard one for several seasons.  Are you considering flat or cambered sails?  Seemed to be fully powered up with a genoa in light air, so maybe that's a good sail area amount.  Some weather helm, but not excessive, so maybe the CE is good.  The boat was no fun in a breeze off the wind so reef early.

      Erik
      On his hoity Droidy

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic