Re: [junit] RE: Abuse - Inappropriate Material - junit@yahoogroups.com (KMM54613869V93979L0KM)

  • Erik Hanson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2002
      "Philippe Vanpeperstraete" <philippe.vanpeperstraete@...> wrote:
      > This is the reaction I received from Yahoo about the spamming sent to our
      > list recently. Any reactions? Time to look for a better platform?
      >
      > [Yahoo's useless response deleted]

      In my experience, Yahoo employees don't actually read the email you send them.
      They just come up with some random guess as to what you are mailing about.
      With one or two exceptions, every reponse I've gotten from them shows that
      they had no idea what I was writing about.

      Anyway, on to spam. I run the xp-jobs group. It got hit hard with spam (not
      too long after Windows XP came out... hmm...). The xp-jobs list has one or two
      posts a month, so having a few spams a day means a horrible signal-to-noise
      ratio.

      I restricted posting to members only, but that didn't help. So now what I do
      is manually approve new members only if they reply correctly to the welcome
      message that gets sent when they try to sign up. There is no more spam, but it
      requires a couple minutes a day of manual work.

      Erik
    • evought@qlue.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2002
        More companies are using autoresponders based on Noise Dispersal Parsers
        these days. They throw away everything in the message they don't
        understand, do a convoluted response table lookup, and send a canned email
        back. Yahoo may be using something like that. There are several companies
        that sell such software. It seems to emulate the behavior of an underpaid
        and underqualified tech reasonably well.

        On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Erik Hanson wrote:

        > "Philippe Vanpeperstraete" <philippe.vanpeperstraete@...> wrote:
        > > This is the reaction I received from Yahoo about the spamming sent to our
        > > list recently. Any reactions? Time to look for a better platform?
        > >
        > > [Yahoo's useless response deleted]
        >
        > In my experience, Yahoo employees don't actually read the email you send them.
        > They just come up with some random guess as to what you are mailing about.
        > With one or two exceptions, every reponse I've gotten from them shows that
        > they had no idea what I was writing about.
        >
        > Anyway, on to spam. I run the xp-jobs group. It got hit hard with spam (not
        > too long after Windows XP came out... hmm...). The xp-jobs list has one or two
        > posts a month, so having a few spams a day means a horrible signal-to-noise
        > ratio.
        >
        > I restricted posting to members only, but that didn't help. So now what I do
        > is manually approve new members only if they reply correctly to the welcome
        > message that gets sent when they try to sign up. There is no more spam, but it
        > requires a couple minutes a day of manual work.
        >

        > Erik

        Eric Vought
        Chief Technical Officer - QLUE Consulting, Inc.

        evought@... toll-free: 888-771-3538 RTP area: 919-816-9901