Recurring tests with JUnit

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
      >Was wondering if there exists a JUnit extension that allows JUnit to run
      >tests every x minutes (every eg 30 minutes).

      No. What you'd like to do has nothing to do with JUnit. Unless using a
      UI-based test runner is important to you, simply find any software that can
      schedule applications to run (JITScheduler is an example) and create a
      schedule to run your test application every 30 minutes. Create a command
      script to run the test runner and specify your test suite.

      Of course, on UNIX, simply create a cron job.

      JBR.
    • LECLUSE Dirk (BMB)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2001
        RE: [junit] Recurring tests with JUnit

        Hello,

        First I appreciate your feedback on my posting.
        Just some motivation on the suggestion:
        What I'd like to have is 'junit.swingui.TestRunner' with checkbox to enable repeating tests, and an editbox with an interval (in minutes). Why? I use JUnit to test an enterprise application that has dependencies on other legacy systems. Especially in a test environment, the other systems beyond our direct control evolve over time, might go down, etc... In the mean time our application should behave gracefully as specified in the requirements (& backed by Junit testcases). I tend to run Junit from time to time in the test environment and check the results.

        Although this isn't pure unit testing and relates maybe more towards monitoring, I see it as an option for Junit, especially since the Junit tests exist from the development environment. I agree that many developments will not benefit from it, only those that work in an environment that modifies over time.

        Although I was thinking of an extension to the swing interface, 'cron' or 'at' (NT sheduler) is also useful e.g. in combination with junit.textui.TestRunner, combined with a mail option to alert in case of problems.

        Probably I'll try something like Mark Meyers suggested and if that would satisfy I'll turn back to the 'cron' or 'at' option.

        Again, thanks for your feedback so far,
        Dirk

        >Was wondering if there exists a JUnit extension that allows JUnit to run
        >tests every x minutes (every eg 30 minutes).

        No. What you'd like to do has nothing to do with JUnit. Unless using a
        UI-based test runner is important to you, simply find any software that can
        schedule applications to run (JITScheduler is an example) and create a
        schedule to run your test application every 30 minutes. Create a command
        script to run the test runner and specify your test suite.

        Of course, on UNIX, simply create a cron job.

        JBR.

        Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/NhFolB/TM

        **** DISCLAIMER ****

        "This e-mail and any attachment thereto may contain information which is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above.
        Any use of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to, total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any form) by other persons than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
        If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer".

        Thank you for your cooperation.

        For further information about Proximus mobile phone services please see our website at http://www.proximus.be or refer to any Proximus agent.