Re: Please read: impending transfer of KentBeck/junit github repo to junit-team/junit

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
      All,

      This has now happened. The most immediate fallout is that old links to
      github issues and pages likely need to have "KentBeck" replaced by
      "junit-team" in order to resolve. Let me know if any other issues
      immediately arise.

      David Saff

      On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM, David Saff <saff@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > In order to make administration of the junit repo more flexible, Kent and
      > I are planning to transfer the root junit github repo to the junit-team
      > organization account. This will impact you in a number of ways:
      >
      > - Issues and pulls will be referenced from
      > http://github.com/junit-team/junit
      > - Any local forks will need to be updated to the new upstream repo. (See
      > instructions at the bottom of
      > https://help.github.com/articles/how-to-transfer-a-repository)
      >
      > The transfer is subject to human approval within github, so we don't have
      > an exact timeline to share. Probably early next week.
      >
      > Let us know if you anticipate or experience any problems with this change.
      > Sorry for the disruption,
      >
      > David Saff

    • Matthew Farwell
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
        This is more a remark than anything else, but this means that any URL's
        pointing to the old repo are now dead. For instance, Stack Overflow. This
        also applies to junit.org I suppose.

        Is there a fixed URL for the junit api?

        Thanks.

        Matthew Farwell.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
          Yes, we have just killed a good number of links. If this turns out to be a
          large problem, we'll need to come up with a solution.

          We've almost always had to handle the javadoc manually, which has led to a
          number of oversights and mistakes over the years--has anyone had a favorite
          automatic javadoc-posting solution?

          David

          On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Matthew Farwell <matthew@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > This is more a remark than anything else, but this means that any URL's
          > pointing to the old repo are now dead. For instance, Stack Overflow. This
          > also applies to junit.org I suppose.
          >
          > Is there a fixed URL for the junit api?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Matthew Farwell.
          >
          > 2013/2/6 David Saff saff@...>
          >
          > > **
          >

          > > All,
          > >
          > > This has now happened. The most immediate fallout is that old links to
          > > github issues and pages likely need to have "KentBeck" replaced by
          > > "junit-team" in order to resolve. Let me know if any other issues
          > > immediately arise.
          > >
          > > David Saff
          > >

          > > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM, David Saff saff@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > All,
          > > >
          > > > In order to make administration of the junit repo more flexible, Kent
          > and
          > > > I are planning to transfer the root junit github repo to the junit-team
          > > > organization account. This will impact you in a number of ways:
          > > >
          > > > - Issues and pulls will be referenced from
          > > > http://github.com/junit-team/junit
          > > > - Any local forks will need to be updated to the new upstream repo.
          > (See
          > > > instructions at the bottom of
          > > > https://help.github.com/articles/how-to-transfer-a-repository)
          > > >
          > > > The transfer is subject to human approval within github, so we don't
          > have
          > > > an exact timeline to share. Probably early next week.
          > > >
          > > > Let us know if you anticipate or experience any problems with this
          > > change.
          > > > Sorry for the disruption,
          > > >
          > > > David Saff

        • Stephen Connolly
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
            Are you looking for versioned javadoc, or is the latest release sufficient?

            Could be made part of the Maven release process. AFAIR we did not add
            publishing the Maven site, but it can be done and leave the site hosting on
            Github. For example this is exactly what I do for jszip.org

            -Stephen

          • Kevin Cooney
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
              Would it be possible for Kent to clone junit-team/junit ? That would fix
              the links.

              - Kevin
              On Feb 7, 2013 5:38 AM, "Matthew Farwell" <matthew@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > This is more a remark than anything else, but this means that any URL's
              > pointing to the old repo are now dead. For instance, Stack Overflow. This
              > also applies to junit.org I suppose.
              >
              > Is there a fixed URL for the junit api?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Matthew Farwell.
              >
              > 2013/2/6 David Saff saff@...>
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > All,
              > >
              > > This has now happened. The most immediate fallout is that old links to
              > > github issues and pages likely need to have "KentBeck" replaced by
              > > "junit-team" in order to resolve. Let me know if any other issues
              > > immediately arise.
              > >
              > > David Saff
              > >

              > > On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM, David Saff saff@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > All,
              > > >
              > > > In order to make administration of the junit repo more flexible, Kent
              > and
              > > > I are planning to transfer the root junit github repo to the junit-team
              > > > organization account. This will impact you in a number of ways:
              > > >
              > > > - Issues and pulls will be referenced from
              > > > http://github.com/junit-team/junit
              > > > - Any local forks will need to be updated to the new upstream repo.
              > (See
              > > > instructions at the bottom of
              > > > https://help.github.com/articles/how-to-transfer-a-repository)
              > > >
              > > > The transfer is subject to human approval within github, so we don't
              > have
              > > > an exact timeline to share. Probably early next week.
              > > >
              > > > Let us know if you anticipate or experience any problems with this
              > > change.
              > > > Sorry for the disruption,
              > > >
              > > > David Saff

            • Dale Emery
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                Hi David,

                > We've almost always had to handle the javadoc manually, which has led to a number of oversights and mistakes over the years--has anyone had a favorite automatic javadoc-posting solution?

                I use ant+maven to check out the code and generate the javadocs. Then I manually commit the javadocs to the gh-pages branch and push it to github. Not entirely automatic yet, but automatic enough for me.

                Dale

                --
                Dale Emery
                Consultant to software teams and leaders
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                  We can automate that, making it either part of the new maven release
                  process, or a job on the Jenkins server (bleeding edge java docs)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                    Stephen,

                    I think the latest release is a great first step. Tell me more about how
                    jszip.org works. Thanks!

                    David

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                      If Kent clones junit-team/junit, it would mean that links that once pointed
                      to the official source would now point to Kent's local fork. Issue links
                      and wiki links would not work.

                      One possibility would be to put, for the moment, a fork at KentBeck/junit,
                      whose master branch is a single README.md pointing people to the real new
                      home.

                      That said, I'd probably prioritize this issue more highly once we see an
                      actual user in the wild getting confused, so we can see what technique
                      would be most useful. So far, the mailing lists, stackoverflow, and
                      twittersphere appear pretty quiet about the issue.

                      David Saff

                      On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Kevin Cooney <kcooney@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Would it be possible for Kent to clone junit-team/junit ? That would fix
                      > the links.
                      >
                      > - Kevin
                      >
                      > On Feb 7, 2013 5:38 AM, "Matthew Farwell" matthew@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > This is more a remark than anything else, but this means that any URL's
                      > > pointing to the old repo are now dead. For instance, Stack Overflow. This
                      > > also applies to junit.org I suppose.
                      > >
                      > > Is there a fixed URL for the junit api?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks.
                      > >
                      > > Matthew Farwell.
                      > >
                      > > 2013/2/6 David Saff saff@...>
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >

                      > > > All,
                      > > >
                      > > > This has now happened. The most immediate fallout is that old links to
                      > > > github issues and pages likely need to have "KentBeck" replaced by
                      > > > "junit-team" in order to resolve. Let me know if any other issues
                      > > > immediately arise.
                      > > >
                      > > > David Saff

                      > > and
                      > junit-team

                      > > (See

                      > > have

                      > > > change.

                    • Stephen Connolly
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                        It's hosted on github.com.

                        The site is an organization level repo:
                        https://github.com/jszip/jszip.github.com

                        Each "module" pushes to a sub-section of the site, e.g.
                        https://github.com/jszip/jszip-maven-plugin pushes to
                        http://jszip.org/jszip-maven-plugin/

                        So you could leave the main content *not generated by Maven* and then just
                        publish the maven site to a sub-section of the main site.

                        To push to github, you need to add a few tweaks to the pom:

                        * You need to set the <url> to the URL that the site will end up on:
                        https://github.com/jszip/jszip-parent/blob/master/pom.xml#L33

                        * You need to add the equivalent <site> stuff, e.g.
                        https://github.com/jszip/jszip-parent/blob/master/pom.xml#L89

                        * You need to add the Maven wagon for deploying to a github hosted site,
                        e.g. https://github.com/jszip/jszip-parent/blob/master/pom.xml#L160

                        * Note: I also add a Markdown doxia module so that I can write the pages in
                        markdown

                        I think that is all you need to do.

                        Then anyone with commit access to the
                        https://github.com/junit-team/junit.org repository will be able to deploy
                        the Maven generated site (which would include the javadocs) just runs

                        mvn site-deploy

                        Everything else is magic. (There may be an entry in your settings.xml that
                        would be required also)

                        We could make the site URL versioned, that would mean that the site would
                        contain javadocs for each version, or we could have Jenkins push the site
                        as well.

                        -Stephen

                      • Stephen Connolly
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                          If you set up the "junit-team.github.com" (now that I remember how github
                          hosting works) repo and can give me push access to the "site" repo, I could
                          make sure it is set up correctly.

                          Then all you'd need to do is set up the CNAME in DNS from www.junit.org to
                          junit-team.github.com and presto - github hosting of the junit website

                          On 8 February 2013 15:21, Stephen Connolly

                        • Stephen Connolly
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                            Here's the full details on the github side:
                            https://help.github.com/articles/setting-up-a-custom-domain-with-pages

                            On 8 February 2013 15:25, Stephen Connolly

                          • Colin Vipurs
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                              I've had a member of one of our teams here already come screaming that
                              "junit has gone from github".

                              On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM, David Saff <saff@...> wrote:
                              > If Kent clones junit-team/junit, it would mean that links that once pointed
                              > to the official source would now point to Kent's local fork. Issue links
                              > and wiki links would not work.
                              >
                              > One possibility would be to put, for the moment, a fork at KentBeck/junit,
                              > whose master branch is a single README.md pointing people to the real new
                              > home.
                              >
                              > That said, I'd probably prioritize this issue more highly once we see an
                              > actual user in the wild getting confused, so we can see what technique
                              > would be most useful. So far, the mailing lists, stackoverflow, and
                              > twittersphere appear pretty quiet about the issue.
                              >
                              > David Saff
                              >
                              > On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Kevin Cooney <kcooney@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >> **
                              >>

                              >> Would it be possible for Kent to clone junit-team/junit ? That would fix
                              >> the links.
                              >>
                              >> - Kevin
                              >>
                              >> On Feb 7, 2013 5:38 AM, "Matthew Farwell" matthew@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> > **
                              >> >

                              >> > This is more a remark than anything else, but this means that any URL's
                              >> > pointing to the old repo are now dead. For instance, Stack Overflow. This
                              >> > also applies to junit.org I suppose.
                              >> >
                              >> > Is there a fixed URL for the junit api?
                              >> >
                              >> > Thanks.
                              >> >
                              >> > Matthew Farwell.

                              >> > and
                              >> junit-team

                              >> > (See

                              >> > have

                              Maybe she awoke to see the roommate's boyfriend swinging from the
                              chandelier wearing a boar's head.

                              Something which you, I, and everyone else would call "Tuesday", of course.
                            • Mirko Friedenhagen
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                                Hello there,

                                I have used Stephen's general strategy as well, (manual entry page,
                                Maven sites as directories beneath). The site distribution url is
                                equal to Stephen's approach. As an alternative (not having tried
                                Stephen's wagon), I have used the maven-scm-publish-plugin[1].
                                After the initial setup (see pom.xml[2] for an example), it is
                                sufficient to execute sth. like `mvn clean verify site site:stage
                                scm-publish:publish-scm` and you are set.

                                The scm-publish plugin:
                                - checks out the gh-pages branch in a directory beneath target
                                - merges your staged site into this directory,
                                - makes one commit and pushes

                                The scm-publish:publish-scm is in my experience blazingly fast
                                compared to deploying the site via wagon (I had tried this with SVN in
                                the past and it was a real pain, but as I said I did not try Stephen's
                                wagon for github :-)).

                                Projects inheriting from a base pom use the same strategy for
                                publishing the site, the only thing they have to define is a property
                                called scmpublish.content[3].

                                Regards Mirko

                                1. http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-scm-publish-plugin/
                                2. https://github.com/1and1/foss-parent/blob/master/pom.xml#L514
                                3. https://github.com/1and1/testlink-junit/blob/master/pom.xml#L44

                                On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Stephen Connolly

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                                  I haven't tried the scm-publish, and its been a while since I refreshed my
                                  toolchain (the wagon is a fork of Katherine Huxtable's, not my work!).

                                  Either technique works, we can do some performance bake-out if JUnit wants
                                  to go down this path

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 11, 2013
                                    OK, that sounds like a reasonable data point. Let's see what can be done.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                                      Hello,

                                      one caveat: when you have any resources in the site starting with a
                                      dot, you better include a file `.nojekyll` in your site, see:
                                      http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.de/2013/01/publishing-maven-site-having-jacoco.html

                                      Regards Mirko

                                      On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Stephen Connolly