JUnit 4.10 is released

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2011
      All,

      JUnit 4.10 has been released. It fixes a bug in packaging that
      affected maven users who use up-to-date versions of hamcrest. Thanks
      to the efforts of a full cast of contributors, it also contains a
      couple dozen new features and bugfixes.

      The github model is working well as a way of maintaining JUnit as a
      community. If you've been waiting to jump in and fix that bug, now
      may be the time.

      As usual, you can download directly from
      https://github.com/KentBeck/junit/downloads. In addition, the jars
      should already be up at Maven Central, assuming I've done it right
      this time.

      Release notes are at
      https://github.com/KentBeck/junit/blob/4.10/doc/ReleaseNotes4.10.txt,
      and copied below.

      Thanks all, and keep it green,

      David Saff

      ## Summary of Changes in version 4.10 ##

      Thanks to a full cast of contributors of bug fixes and new features.

      A full summary of commits between 4.9 and 4.10 is on
      [github](https://github.com/KentBeck/junit/compare/r4.9...4.10)

      ### junit-dep has correct contents ###

      junit-dep-4.9.jar incorrectly contained hamcrest classes, which could
      lead to version conflicts in projects that depend on hamcrest
      directly. This is fixed in 4.10 [@dsaff, closing gh-309]

      ### RuleChain ###

      The RuleChain rule allows ordering of TestRules:

      public static class UseRuleChain {
      @Rule
      public TestRule chain= RuleChain
      .outerRule(new LoggingRule("outer rule")
      .around(new LoggingRule("middle rule")
      .around(new LoggingRule("inner rule");

      @Test
      public void example() {
      assertTrue(true);
      }
      }

      writes the log

      starting outer rule
      starting middle rule
      starting inner rule
      finished inner rule
      finished middle rule
      finished outer rule

      ### TemporaryFolder ###

      - `TemporaryFolder#newFolder(String... folderNames)` creates
      recursively deep temporary folders
      [@rodolfoliviero, closing gh-283]
      - `TemporaryFolder#newFile()` creates a randomly named new file, and
      `#newFolder()` creates a randomly named new folder
      [@Daniel Rothmaler, closing gh-299]

      ### Theories ###

      The `Theories` runner does not anticipate theory parameters that have generic
      types, as reported by github#64. Fixing this won't happen until `Theories` is
      moved to junit-contrib. In anticipation of this, 4.9.1 adds some of the
      necessary machinery to the runner classes, and deprecates a method that only
      the `Theories` runner uses, `FrameworkMethod`#producesType().
      The Common Public License that JUnit is released under is now included
      in the source repository.

      Thanks to `@pholser` for identifying a potential resolution for github#64
      and initiating work on it.

      ### Bug fixes ###

      - Built-in Rules implementations
      - TemporaryFolder should not create files in the current working
      directory if applying the rule fails
      [@orfjackal, fixing gh-278]
      - TestWatcher and TestWatchman should not call failed for
      AssumptionViolatedExceptions
      [@stefanbirkner, fixing gh-296]
      - Javadoc bugs
      - Assert documentation [@stefanbirkner, fixing gh-134]
      - ClassRule [@stefanbirkner, fixing gh-254]
      - Parameterized [@stefanbirkner, fixing gh-89]
      - Parameterized, again [@orfjackal, fixing gh-285]
      - Miscellaneous
      - Useless code in RunAfters [@stefanbirkner, fixing gh-289]
      - Parameterized test classes should be able to have `@Category` annotations
      [@dsaff, fixing gh-291]
      - Error count should be initialized in
      junit.tests.framework.TestListenerTest [@stefanbirkner, fixing gh-225]
      - AssertionFailedError constructor shouldn't call super with null
      message [@stefanbirkner, fixing gh-318]
      - Clearer error message for non-static inner test classes
      [@stefanbirkner, fixing gh-42]

      ### Minor changes ###

      - Description, Result and Failure are Serializable [@ephox-rob, closing gh-101]
      - FailOnTimeout is reusable, allowing for retrying Rules
      [@stefanbirkner, closing gh-265]
      - New `ErrorCollector.checkThat` overload, that allows you to specify
      a reason [@drothmaler, closing gh-300]
    • Neale Upstone
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
        Corrected release notes URL is: