Re: Running JUnit tests from a separate Java application

  • David
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2010
      When I put a construct like this into my code

      try {
      Result run = core.run(Request.method(Try.class, actionWord));
      }
      catch (NoTestsRemainException ex) {}

      Java tells me
      'Unreachable catch block for NoTestsRemainException. This exception is never thrown from the try statement body'

      If I generalise the last catch to look for ANY exception the catch never catches because the run request always returns normally.

      David

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
        Sorry, could have given more information.

        Result run = core.run(Request.method(Try.class, actionWord));
        if (run.wasSuccessful())
        return "success!";
        if (run.getFailures().getException() instanceof NoTestsRemainException)
        return "No such method!";
        else
        return "Failed for another reason!";

      • David
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
          Hi,

          A glimmer of hope - exceptions from my test run are being caught.
          Refer to this code snippet:

          if (run.wasSuccessful())
          System.out.println("Result: " + run.wasSuccessful());
          else if (run.getFailures().get(0).getException() instanceof NoTestsRemainException)
          {
          System.out.println("Method does not exist");
          }
          else {
          for (int i=0; i< run.getFailureCount(); i++)
          System.out.println("Error ("+i+"): " + run.getFailures().get(i).getException().getMessage());
          }

          When run do not see 'Method does not exist' being reported. All output is stemming from the last 'else'.

          How can I found out what exceptions are possible?

        • David
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
            Exceptions actually are discoverable; this line of code identifies them:

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 2, 2010
              To be clear, you've seen passing tests correctly reported, and failing
              tests correctly reported, but if you pass in a non-existant test, it's
              not reported at all? What is the output you do see? Thanks,

              David

            • David
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2010
                If I debug I see that I am getting an exception with detailed message
                'No tests found matching Method Test Case(example.Try) from org.junit.internal.requests.ClassRequest@36d047'

                I cannot determine to what exception it corresponds.

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 3, 2010
                  Can you use your code above to print
                  run.getFailures().get(i).getException().getClass().getName()?

                  David Saff

                • David
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 3, 2010
                    And I get 'java.lang.Exception' which is not very exciting

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 5, 2010
                      Hmm. Sounds like you can probably get what you need by checking the
                      exception message, but please file a feature request for a more
                      reliable notification. Thanks!

                      David Saff