Re: [junit] Missing JUnit jars in Maven central - intent to correct

  • Esko Luontola
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
      Cédric Beust ♔ wrote on 1.10.2010 6:21:
      > Note that you will have to request ownership of org.junit.

      JUnit is still using "junit" as its groupId. Would it be good at some
      point to switch using "org.junit" groupId, to make it more in line with
      the current naming standards?

      Some coordination with Maven Surefire Plugin might be needed, because it
      has "junit:junit" as the default for junitArtifactName in
      http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html -
      but there is a workaround (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-519)
      so it's not a showstopper.

      --
      Esko Luontola
      www.orfjackal.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
        Max,

        Would you be willing to take this on in the future, as well? I'd be
        delighted--I've been meaning to do this for over a year.

        David Saff

        On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Max Bowsher <maxb@...> wrote:
        > A number of JUnit jars are missing in Maven central.
        >
        > junit 4.8 4.8.2
        >
        > junit-dep 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.8.1 4.8.2
        >
        > All except 4.6 appear to be available on the github download area.
        >
        > If there's no-one already working on it, and the JUnit committers are
        > happy with me doing so, I intend to synthesize the required artifact
        > bundles and submit them through oss.sonatype.org.
        >
        > Max.

      • Max Bowsher
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
          On 01/10/10 12:55, Esko Luontola wrote:
          > JUnit is still using "junit" as its groupId. Would it be good at some
          > point to switch using "org.junit" groupId, to make it more in line with
          > the current naming standards?

          I would very strongly recommend against this.

          If we do, Maven will treat the two as completely different artifacts,
          and happily place a version of both on the classpath.

          The situation is bad enough already with junit vs. junit-dep, let's not
          make it even more convoluted. (If I were starting from scratch, I would
          only ever upload the junit-dep jar to any Maven repository. Jars that
          bundle other classes may be a powerful convenience in a world without a
          dependency resolver, but IMO serve no purpose in Maven.)

          Max.

        • Max Bowsher
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
            On 01/10/10 15:54, David Saff wrote:
            > Max,
            >
            > Would you be willing to take this on in the future, as well? I'd be
            > delighted--I've been meaning to do this for over a year.
            >
            > David Saff

            Yes, I'm happy to do that. OK, I'll go file a ticket with Sonatype
            requesting creation of staging repositories for the "junit" groupId.

            Max.

          • Mike Forsberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2010
              I second the appreciation.

              On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Max Bowsher <maxb@...> wrote:

              > On 01/10/10 15:54, David Saff wrote:
              > > Max,
              > >
              > > Would you be willing to take this on in the future, as well? I'd be
              > > delighted--I've been meaning to do this for over a year.
              > >
              > > David Saff
              >
              > Yes, I'm happy to do that. OK, I'll go file a ticket with Sonatype
              > requesting creation of staging repositories for the "junit" groupId.
              >

              > Max.

            • Max Bowsher
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2010
                On 01/10/10 00:54, Max Bowsher wrote:
                > A number of JUnit jars are missing in Maven central.
                >
                > junit 4.8 4.8.2
                >
                > junit-dep 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.8.1 4.8.2
                >
                > All except 4.6 appear to be available on the github download area.

                I found 4.6 at sourceforge too.

                > If there's no-one already working on it, and the JUnit committers are
                > happy with me doing so, I intend to synthesize the required artifact
                > bundles and submit them through oss.sonatype.org.

                Done: bundles uploaded and released to Sonatype OSSRH, should propagate
                to Central automatically in an hour or so.

                Max.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Max,

                  Many thanks. The 27 voters on

                  http://github.com/KentBeck/junit/issues#issue/66

                  thank you as well. Would you mind posting a link there when the
                  propagation to Central is complete? Thanks,

                  David Saff

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2010
                    On 05/10/10 15:12, David Saff wrote:
                    > Max,
                    >
                    > Many thanks. The 27 voters on
                    >
                    > http://github.com/KentBeck/junit/issues#issue/66
                    >
                    > thank you as well. Would you mind posting a link there when the
                    > propagation to Central is complete? Thanks,
                    >
                    > David Saff

                    Done.