Re: [junit] Missing JUnit jars in Maven central - intent to correct

  • Cédric Beust ♔
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2010
      Note that you will have to request ownership of org.junit.

      Sonatype is great, though, I love the ability of being able to push a new
      release whenever I want and have it available on Maven central within the
      hour.

      --
      Cédric

      On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Max Bowsher <maxb@...> wrote:

      > A number of JUnit jars are missing in Maven central.
      >
      > junit 4.8 4.8.2
      >
      > junit-dep 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.8.1 4.8.2
      >
      > All except 4.6 appear to be available on the github download area.
      >
      > If there's no-one already working on it, and the JUnit committers are
      > happy with me doing so, I intend to synthesize the required artifact
      > bundles and submit them through oss.sonatype.org.

      > Max.

      Cédric

    • Esko Luontola
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
        Cédric Beust ♔ wrote on 1.10.2010 6:21:
        > Note that you will have to request ownership of org.junit.

        JUnit is still using "junit" as its groupId. Would it be good at some
        point to switch using "org.junit" groupId, to make it more in line with
        the current naming standards?

        Some coordination with Maven Surefire Plugin might be needed, because it
        has "junit:junit" as the default for junitArtifactName in
        http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html -
        but there is a workaround (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-519)
        so it's not a showstopper.

        --
        Esko Luontola
        www.orfjackal.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
          Max,

          Would you be willing to take this on in the future, as well? I'd be
          delighted--I've been meaning to do this for over a year.

          David Saff

          On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Max Bowsher <maxb@...> wrote:
          > A number of JUnit jars are missing in Maven central.
          >
          > junit 4.8 4.8.2
          >
          > junit-dep 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.8.1 4.8.2
          >
          > All except 4.6 appear to be available on the github download area.
          >
          > If there's no-one already working on it, and the JUnit committers are
          > happy with me doing so, I intend to synthesize the required artifact
          > bundles and submit them through oss.sonatype.org.
          >
          > Max.

        • Max Bowsher
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
            On 01/10/10 12:55, Esko Luontola wrote:
            > JUnit is still using "junit" as its groupId. Would it be good at some
            > point to switch using "org.junit" groupId, to make it more in line with
            > the current naming standards?

            I would very strongly recommend against this.

            If we do, Maven will treat the two as completely different artifacts,
            and happily place a version of both on the classpath.

            The situation is bad enough already with junit vs. junit-dep, let's not
            make it even more convoluted. (If I were starting from scratch, I would
            only ever upload the junit-dep jar to any Maven repository. Jars that
            bundle other classes may be a powerful convenience in a world without a
            dependency resolver, but IMO serve no purpose in Maven.)

            Max.

          • Max Bowsher
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
              On 01/10/10 15:54, David Saff wrote:
              > Max,
              >
              > Would you be willing to take this on in the future, as well? I'd be
              > delighted--I've been meaning to do this for over a year.
              >
              > David Saff

              Yes, I'm happy to do that. OK, I'll go file a ticket with Sonatype
              requesting creation of staging repositories for the "junit" groupId.

              Max.

            • Mike Forsberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2010
                I second the appreciation.

                On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Max Bowsher <maxb@...> wrote:

                > On 01/10/10 15:54, David Saff wrote:
                > > Max,
                > >
                > > Would you be willing to take this on in the future, as well? I'd be
                > > delighted--I've been meaning to do this for over a year.
                > >
                > > David Saff
                >
                > Yes, I'm happy to do that. OK, I'll go file a ticket with Sonatype
                > requesting creation of staging repositories for the "junit" groupId.
                >

                > Max.

              • Max Bowsher
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 5, 2010
                  On 01/10/10 00:54, Max Bowsher wrote:
                  > A number of JUnit jars are missing in Maven central.
                  >
                  > junit 4.8 4.8.2
                  >
                  > junit-dep 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.8.1 4.8.2
                  >
                  > All except 4.6 appear to be available on the github download area.

                  I found 4.6 at sourceforge too.

                  > If there's no-one already working on it, and the JUnit committers are
                  > happy with me doing so, I intend to synthesize the required artifact
                  > bundles and submit them through oss.sonatype.org.

                  Done: bundles uploaded and released to Sonatype OSSRH, should propagate
                  to Central automatically in an hour or so.

                  Max.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2010
                    Max,

                    Many thanks. The 27 voters on

                    http://github.com/KentBeck/junit/issues#issue/66

                    thank you as well. Would you mind posting a link there when the
                    propagation to Central is complete? Thanks,

                    David Saff

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 5, 2010
                      On 05/10/10 15:12, David Saff wrote:
                      > Max,
                      >
                      > Many thanks. The 27 voters on
                      >
                      > http://github.com/KentBeck/junit/issues#issue/66
                      >
                      > thank you as well. Would you mind posting a link there when the
                      > propagation to Central is complete? Thanks,
                      >
                      > David Saff

                      Done.