Re: [junit] Test runtime scenario using junit

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30 12:45 PM
      Ananth,

      The scenario seems clear enough to me, and the short answer is that no, JUnit doesn't do anything like that. Not that it couldn't, but that would be outside the scope of the framework. If this is commercial work, we could discuss offline what the paid options are for providing help on the JUnit side of what you want to do.

      Regards,

      Kent

      On Apr 30, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Ananth wrote:

      > Is there anything similar available with Junit framework?
      >
      > Hope i have not confused you even more :)
      >
      > Regards
      > Ananth
      > .

    • Ananth
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        Thanks a lot Kent. This is not for commercial work. I just wanted to ensure
        i din miss out on a feature that is available with JUnit framework.
        Thank you very much for your support.

        Regards
        Ananth

        On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Kent Beck <kentb@...> wrote:

        > Ananth,
        >
        > The scenario seems clear enough to me, and the short answer is that no,
        > JUnit doesn't do anything like that. Not that it couldn't, but that would be
        > outside the scope of the framework. If this is commercial work, we could
        > discuss offline what the paid options are for providing help on the JUnit
        > side of what you want to do.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Kent
        >
        > On Apr 30, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Ananth wrote:

        > > Is there anything similar available with Junit framework?
        > >
        > > Hope i have not confused you even more :)
        > >
        > > Regards
        > > Ananth
        > > .

        Regards
        Ananth

      • Bogdan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2010
          Hello Ananth,

          Just to give my 2cents on this problem, I would suggest looking at a solution that also involves some distributed cache (like ehCache or perhaps Terracotta).

          The general idea is to have the code on the VmWare side populated once, and then stored in this distributed cache. Then you can start your JUnit tests, and they simply start their own cache, which is configured to work distributed and connect to the already running cache of VmWare-related objects. Then the objects that you created with VmWare will also be available for the unit tests.

          The connection in JUnit can be performed in a Rule or in the BeforeClass methods.

          Cheers,
          Bogdan

          --- In junit@yahoogroups.com, Ananth <cbananth@...> wrote:

          > Thanks a lot Kent. This is not for commercial work. I just wanted to ensure
          > i din miss out on a feature that is available with JUnit framework.
          > Thank you very much for your support.
          >
          > Regards
          > Ananth
          >
          > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Kent Beck <kentb@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Ananth,
          > >
          > > The scenario seems clear enough to me, and the short answer is that no,
          > > JUnit doesn't do anything like that. Not that it couldn't, but that would be
          > > outside the scope of the framework. If this is commercial work, we could
          > > discuss offline what the paid options are for providing help on the JUnit
          > > side of what you want to do.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Kent
          > >
          > > On Apr 30, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Ananth wrote:

          > > > Is there anything similar available with Junit framework?
          > > >
          > > > Hope i have not confused you even more :)
          > > >
          > > > Regards
          > > > Ananth
          > > > .

          > --
          > Regards
          > Ananth

        • Ananth
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2010
            Thanks a lot Bogdan. That was very useful information. I will explore those
            possibilities also . :)

            Thanks & Regards
            Ananth

            On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Bogdan <
            bogdan.mocanu.notifications@...> wrote:

            > Hello Ananth,
            >
            > Just to give my 2cents on this problem, I would suggest looking at a
            > solution that also involves some distributed cache (like ehCache or perhaps
            > Terracotta).
            >
            > The general idea is to have the code on the VmWare side populated once, and
            > then stored in this distributed cache. Then you can start your JUnit tests,
            > and they simply start their own cache, which is configured to work
            > distributed and connect to the already running cache of VmWare-related
            > objects. Then the objects that you created with VmWare will also be
            > available for the unit tests.
            >
            > The connection in JUnit can be performed in a Rule or in the BeforeClass
            > methods.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Bogdan
            >

            > --- In junit@yahoogroups.com <junit%40yahoogroups.com>, Ananth <cbananth@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks a lot Kent. This is not for commercial work. I just wanted to
            > ensure
            > > i din miss out on a feature that is available with JUnit framework.
            > > Thank you very much for your support.
            > >
            > > Regards
            > > Ananth
            > >
            > > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Kent Beck <kentb@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Ananth,
            > > >
            > > > The scenario seems clear enough to me, and the short answer is that no,
            > > > JUnit doesn't do anything like that. Not that it couldn't, but that
            > would be
            > > > outside the scope of the framework. If this is commercial work, we
            > could
            > > > discuss offline what the paid options are for providing help on the
            > JUnit
            > > > side of what you want to do.
            > > >
            > > > Regards,
            > > >
            > > > Kent