JUnit 4.8 is released

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
      JUnit 4.8 has been released. The primary new feature is preliminary
      support for Categories. For more information, see the release notes at

      http://kentbeck.github.com/junit/doc/ReleaseNotes4.8.html

      and the javadoc at

      http://kentbeck.github.com/junit/javadoc/4.8/

      and download from

      http://github.com/KentBeck/junit/downloads

      Share and Enjoy,

      David Saff
    • B. Sai Prasad, M.Phil, SCJP, MCP, MCTS, S
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi David -

        New feature - Categories - will help developers to selectively group and
        execute test classes and methods.

        I was looking at the releasnotes4.8.html, and found the classes are static.
        Any reason why it should be static?

        Regards
        Sai

        --
        What am I doing now? Visit http://twitter.com/saipower

      • Alistair Israel
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
          On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:03 AM, David Saff <david@...> wrote:
          > JUnit 4.8 has been released. The primary new feature is preliminary
          > support for Categories.

          > download from
          >
          > http://github.com/KentBeck/junit/downloads

          Congratulations and thanks! Hope it gets on the Maven repos soon...

          - alistair
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
            [bcc: junit-announce]

            That's a bit of a documentation bug: the example code was developed as
            inner classes, and I didn't edit out the "static" modifiers. Will
            fix.

            David Saff

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
              Thanks for your prompt response. - Sai

              On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:12 AM, David Saff <david@...> wrote:

              > [bcc: junit-announce]
              >
              > That's a bit of a documentation bug: the example code was developed as
              > inner classes, and I didn't edit out the "static" modifiers. Will
              > fix.
              >
              > David Saff
              >

              > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:47 PM, B. Sai Prasad, M.Phil, SCJP, MCP,
              > MCTS, SSGB, PMP, PMI-SP <sai.prasad.b@... <sai.prasad.b%40gmail.com>>
              > wrote:
              > > Hi David -
              > >
              > > New feature - Categories - will help developers to selectively group and
              > > execute test classes and methods.
              > >
              > > I was looking at the releasnotes4.8.html, and found the classes are
              > static.
              > > Any reason why it should be static?
              > >
              > > Regards
              > > Sai
              > >
              > > On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:33 AM, David Saff <david@...<david%40saff.net>>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > >> JUnit 4.8 has been released. The primary new feature is preliminary
              > >> support for Categories. For more information, see the release notes at
              > >>
              > >> http://kentbeck.github.com/junit/doc/ReleaseNotes4.8.html
              > >>
              > >> and the javadoc at
              > >>
              > >> http://kentbeck.github.com/junit/javadoc/4.8/
              > >>
              > >> and download from
              > >>
              > >> http://github.com/KentBeck/junit/downloads
              > >>
              > >> Share and Enjoy,
              > >>
              > >> David Saff
              > >>

              > > --
              >
              > > What am I doing now? Visit http://twitter.com/saipower

            • gregomena
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2009
                I've been testing. And everything is great when the annotation is in methods, but when it's in the class, tests are not executed.
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
                  Greg,

                  Definitely sounds like a problem. Can you create a small example? Thanks,

                  David Saff

                  On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:11 AM, gregomena <gregomena@...> wrote:
                  > I've been testing. And everything is great when the annotation is in methods, but when it's in the class, tests are not executed.

                • Markus
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009
                    I experience exactly the same problem with JUnit 4.8: Annotating the testing class with @Category(...) has no effect, but annotating its methods with @Category(...) works.

                    Since I'm not the only one with this, i assume it is a bug.

                    And I'm wondering where CategoryType.class has gone: It is mentioned in JUnit 4.8 Javadoc saying you should extend CategoryType to define a new Category, but this class is not included.

                    Either the info in the Javadoc is wrong on this or the class is missing.

                    Kind regards,
                    Markus

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 8, 2009
                      Thanks, Markus.