JUnit and Eclipse Newbie Info Needed

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hello all,

      I have a strong programming background in Perl, but Java --even at
      this late date-- is new to me.

      In comparison to Perl, I have found it difficult to get started with
      Java, especially when trying to implement development software like
      JUnit. There is a lot of information out there, and also a lot of
      free and open code, but this data is not organized in the way Perl is,
      such as with the Perl CPAN, and as a result I am definitely getting
      overwhelmed and frustrated. (Perhaps Larry Wall spoiled me.)

      I would be really grateful if anywone could point me to some excellent
      "step by step" information for getting started with Eclipse and JUnit.
      I should mention that I will be needing to work with the
      SpringFramework, and ultimately customizing the fancy new messaging
      systems such as AMPQ.

      As soon as I get "turned around" I will be documenting everything I am
      doing probably on the Wikiversity site, which is a great place.

      Thank you very much in advance, John

      PS, if you are interested in the business model I am working on/with
      and the group we are forming, and our philosophy, etc, etc, please ask.
    • wennnnke
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
        --- In junit@yahoogroups.com, "John" <john.van.v@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have a strong programming background in Perl, but Java --even at
        > this late date-- is new to me.
        >
        > In comparison to Perl, I have found it difficult to get started with
        > Java, especially when trying to implement development software like
        > JUnit. There is a lot of information out there, and also a lot of
        > free and open code, but this data is not organized in the way Perl is,
        > such as with the Perl CPAN, and as a result I am definitely getting
        > overwhelmed and frustrated. (Perhaps Larry Wall spoiled me.)
        >
        > I would be really grateful if anywone could point me to some
        excellent
        > "step by step" information for getting started with Eclipse and JUnit.
        > I should mention that I will be needing to work with the
        > SpringFramework, and ultimately customizing the fancy new
        messaging
        > systems such as AMPQ.
        >
        > As soon as I get "turned around" I will be documenting everything I
        am
        > doing probably on the Wikiversity site, which is a great place.
        >
        > Thank you very much in advance, John
        >
        > PS, if you are interested in the business model I am working on/with
        > and the group we are forming, and our philosophy, etc, etc, please
        ask.

        I think the book "Test-Driven Development by Example" is a good start
        point.
      • John van V.
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
          wennnnke wrote:

          I think the book "Test-Driven Development by Example" is a good start
          point.

          Thanks, I think I should add that the most successful administration
          that I did was all based on "images." I say images because I cannot
          think of a better word.

          The GNU crowd was insisting on source code distribution, and then Red
          Hat and Debian implemented binary "package" manager tools, but I found
          that simply creating an independent application directory (/opt had
          just been embraced) and writing to it (using tar and ssh) would
          install instantly a fully configured application, that would include
          all the necessary libraries, especially those that might clash with
          system-distributed libraries.

          This would provide a fully operational (and hardened) application
          (usually server) distribution, and of course would run completely
          against the Windows methodology of using a "registry," which
          apparently defeats this kind of distribution.

          In terms of Eclipse, it would be nice to have fully configured
          sub-sections, such as JUnit, that are known to run on a specific
          Eclipse install so that newbies could have a running start, rather
          than having to suffer weeks of thrashing around such as I have just
          experienced.

          The Java "culture" it seems goes beyond the Windows in making
          something simple like this impossible, and the Eclipse "culture"
          openly states that their application is not tested on the latest Java
          VMs. Paraphrasing, "your application may or may not work."

          I have strong interest in microkernels that follow the patterns of
          LibOS, and I strongly support the idea of an image library as a
          working repository for versions of L4. If you are curious, my ThinMan
          idea grew out of a desire to see gaming stations become regular
          workstations, and evolved into the idea of a fully distributed network
          with few if any centralized servers, except perhaps support servers
          and legacy e-commerce machines.

          http://thinman.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2008
            John,

            It sounds like you've had some really frustrating weeks. I've known
            many people who have gotten ramped up with Eclipse and JUnit without a
            lot of pain, microkernels or no. Can you share one particular problem
            you've had?

            David Saff