Re: [junit] Testing singleton patterns

  • Nat Pryce
    Message 1 of 43 , Jul 31, 2007
      Only if you *choose* to have 100 XML documents or are stuck with a legacy
      system that involves 100 XML documents. There are ways to avoid XML hell.

      I've successfully de-sprung a large enterprise application, replacing the
      XML with more readable, more tool-friendly Java code. It made a significant
      difference in the speed of system evolution because the team could refactor
      much more easily.

      --Nat

      On 31/07/07, Cédric Beust ♔ <cbeust@...> wrote:

      > On 7/30/07, J. B. Rainsberger <jbrains762@...<jbrains762%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > It is. If you have 100 XML documents, you're almost certainly doing
      > > something wrong.
      >
      > Isn't this a bit of a hasty judgment?
      >
      > I'd say that if they have 100 XML documents, they are probably working
      > on a midsize enterprise application, and this says absolutely nothing
      > about the quality of their code or architecture.
      >
      > --
      > Cédric
      > http://testng.org

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 3, 2007
        Nat Pryce wrote:

        > On 02/08/07, J. B. Rainsberger <jbrains762@...
        > <mailto:jbrains762%40gmail.com>> wrote:
        > > If it's not something we can confidently
        > > change without re-testing the entire application, it shouldn't be
        > > externalized configuration data, it should be code. I'm not convinced
        > > that the choice of implementations of interfaces is configuration data.
        > > I think the community has lost its way on the difference between
        > > configuring applications and wiring objects together.
        >
        > This is a good article about finding this balance:
        >
        > http://worsethanfailure.com/Articles/Soft_Coding.aspx
        > <http://worsethanfailure.com/Articles/Soft_Coding.aspx>

        Thanks, Nat; I've read that one. Part of the problem is that
        configuration is in the eye of the beholder, and vision strength varies
        wildly. :)
        Your guide to software craftsmanship