Test Grouping/Partitioning

  • Christian Nelson
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 3, 2007
      I have a feeling I'm about to bring up a much discussed topic,
      however, I wasn't able to find any related topics by searching this
      mailing list. My apologies in advance if this has been hashed out before.

      While generally thinking that its not a great idea, I occasionally
      come into a situation where I genuinely need to partition my tests
      into more than one group or partition or suite. The latest example is
      with a client who has many unit style tests as well as a number of
      tests which require specific network connectivity only available from
      a subset of machines (the outgoing requests must come from a specific
      ip address). We call these the "online tests".

      We want to be able to group our tests into two groups, "unit tests"
      and "online tests". In some case we want to run only "unit tests" or
      only "online tests", and in other cases we want to run both (or all).

      I understand that this functionality is available using JUnit 4's
      @RunWith(Suite.class) and @SuiteClasses(TestClass1.class, ...).
      However, manually adding test classes to a suite is clunky because the
      list of test classes becomes huge. It's also error prone; it's easy
      for developers to write a test but forget to add it to @SuiteClass.
      Lastly, test runners will run test in suites multiple times when told
      to "run all tests". That's hardly the desired behavior.

      What I really would like to see is the concept of suite (or group in
      TestNG terms) be promoted to a first class citizen. Honestly, I think
      I would prefer it to be at the test class level (unlike TestNG which
      is at the test method level), since the mechanism should be used for
      high-level organization IMHO.

      Is there any chance something like this might make its way into JUnit?
      What can I do to help?

      Thanks,
      Christian
    • toalexsmail