parameterizing JUnit4 timeout?

  • Tom Roche
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23 11:04 PM
      I'm testing processes of varying sizes on hosts of varying capacity.
      Accordingly I want to be able to read timeout values from Preferences.
      With JUnitPerf and JUnit 3.x I can decorate a test like

      + public Test suite() throws FooException {
      + Test testCase = new TestFoo("testFoo");
      + return new TimedTest(testCase, getMaxElapsedTime(), false);
      + }

      With JUnit 4 I'd like to be able to do something like

      - @Test(timeout=getMaxElapsedTime())
      - public void testFoo throws FooException {
      - ...
      - }

      but can't. Can I accomplish the same end in JUnit 4 without too much
      hoop-jumping? I'm thinking this should be easy and I've just been up
      too long :-) (Feel free to reply directly to me as well as the list.)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24 3:32 AM
        Tom,

        There's no way to do this using the built-in runners, although a
        custom runner could do it. If you submit a feature request to
        SourceForge, I'd be happy to take another look at it. Thanks,

        David Saff

        On 3/24/07, Tom Roche <tlroche@...> wrote:

        > I'm testing processes of varying sizes on hosts of varying capacity.
        > Accordingly I want to be able to read timeout values from Preferences.
        > With JUnitPerf and JUnit 3.x I can decorate a test like
        >
        > + public Test suite() throws FooException {
        > + Test testCase = new TestFoo("testFoo");
        > + return new TimedTest(testCase, getMaxElapsedTime(), false);
        > + }
        >
        > With JUnit 4 I'd like to be able to do something like
        >
        > - @Test(timeout=getMaxElapsedTime())
        > - public void testFoo throws FooException {
        > - ...
        > - }
        >
        > but can't. Can I accomplish the same end in JUnit 4 without too much
        > hoop-jumping? I'm thinking this should be easy and I've just been up
        > too long :-) (Feel free to reply directly to me as well as the list.)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tom Roche
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24 9:08 AM
          Tom Roche Sat, 24 Mar 2007 02:04:54 -0400
          >> With JUnitPerf and JUnit 3.x I can decorate a test like

          >> + public Test suite() throws FooException {
          >> + Test testCase = new TestFoo("testFoo");
          >> + return new TimedTest(testCase, getMaxElapsedTime(), false);
          >> + }

          >> With JUnit 4 I'd like to be able to do something like

          >> - @Test(timeout=getMaxElapsedTime())
          >> - public void testFoo throws FooException {
          >> - ...
          >> - }

          David Saff Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:32:59 -0400
          > There's no way to do this using the built-in runners, although a
          > custom runner could do it.

          Any hints you could provide would be appreciated. I'd like to get more
          folks in my group contributing to our test bucket, and my harness
          should be easier to use with refactorings I could do with JUnit 4.

          https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1687449&group_id=15278&atid=365278