Research on the success of JUnit on projects

  • wegfn06@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi All,

      I am compiling a small piece of research about JUnit. I want my
      company to start using it, but in order to sell the idea I would like
      to be able to call on success/failure stories of the use of JUnit on
      projects. If you have the time, I would appreciate any stories of
      how JUnit was used successfully on your project, where there any
      disadvantages of using JUnit, do you think it improved your
      productivity etc? I would like to quote companies, but I appreciate
      that you may think this is sensitive material, so I think the best I
      can hope for is to see if the majority of responses liked using JUnit
      or not. Either way, thank you in advance for your help.

      Regards

      Mik Q
    • Blum, Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
        Yes, JUnit was a success for us. No drawbacks - except the fact that the
        friggin machine finds your mistakes :-)

        But let me ask you a question - do you really seriously have to justify
        _writing test cases_ ?

        If not, what's keeping you from using it?

        Bye,
        Robert

      • Andrew Clarke
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
          I suspect that it's the *tool* Mik is having to justify. My management is
          also very unhappy about the concept of using freeware to to do stuff that's
          mission critical. They want to see proof that tools work, that they're
          reliable and supported. The use of Open Source/freeware for commercial
          purposes represents a shift in mindset because it doesn't the pattern of
          normal procurement processes: "Okay so we've got the source code, we can
          fix bugs ourselves if anything goes wrong: doesn't that mean we've just
          lumbered ourselves with a whole bunch *of someone else's code* to maintain?"

          You might think businesses would say "Hey, it's free! We've saved a bundle
          of cash!" but what they actually say is "If it's any good why are they
          giving it away?".

          This is why Apache isn't on 100% of web servers.

          APC

          Yes, JUnit was a success for us. No drawbacks - except the fact that the
          friggin machine finds your mistakes :-)

          But let me ask you a question - do you really seriously have to justify
          _writing test cases_ ?

          If not, what's keeping you from using it?

          Bye,
          Robert

        • Michael Silverstein
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
            Well, if free is a problem I can take care of that :-). Test Mentor - Java
            Edition (www.silvermark.com) is a commercial Java component testing tool
            that has a bunch of stuff like automated test generation, code coverage
            profiling, training, support, etc. that also integrates with JUnit, so you
            get the best of both worlds.

            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            Mike Silverstein voice: (919) 858-8300 x29
            SilverMark, Inc. fax: (919) 858-8308
            5511 Capital Center Drive mobile: (919) 669-5906
            Suite 510, Raleigh, NC 27606 toll free: (888) 588-0668
            http://www.silvermark.com msilverstein@...

          • emeade@geekfarm.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
              http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhoIsUsingJunit lists
              a few projects and people who have/are using JUnit

              --
              Erik Meade emeade@...
              Senior Consultant Object Mentor, Inc.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 8, 2001
                Interface Systems (past tense) and Tumbleweed Communications use it widely throughout their Java development groups, with huge success. The Ann Arbor division of Tumbleweed Comm. (formerly Interface) used it in all of their L2i code, and continue to use it with every new development. It is second nature to us now. If we didn't have JUnit, I don't know what we'd do. It has been a great tool that has saved us tremendously on many occasions!

                -Jason