Re: Exception in TJ_Beep test class...

  • veldkamp@amis.nl
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
      Dear all,

      I get the same message stack when I startup my JSyn program while an
      applet that is using JSyn is still running.

      The PortAudio program has the following output:

      PortAudio Test: output sine wave. SR = 44100, BufSize = 512
      PortAudio: PaHost_OpenOutputStream() failed!
      An error occured while using the portaudio stream
      Error number: -10000
      Error message: Host error.

      So, I guess it's not me? I don't understand this SynthContext yet,
      but I thought I somehow needed that to run multiple JSyn programs at
      the same time, but maybe I was wrong there.

      Anyway, I hope this is of any help.

      By the way, Phil, I'd like to thank you for this great API. I have
      really missed it in the standard Java API. Currently I try to write a
      simple tuner and metronome. That creates another problem: how to
      synthesize a 'TOCK' sound. But one other problem should be solved by
      the sound buffering mechanism in JSyn: accurate timing. Thanks!

      Regards,

      Bastiaan Veldkamp
    • Phil Burk
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
        From: <veldkamp@...>
        > I get the same message stack when I startup my JSyn program while an
        > applet that is using JSyn is still running.
        > PortAudio: PaHost_OpenOutputStream() failed!

        As I understand it, when one JSyn program is running, you cannot run another
        JSyn or PortAudio program.

        The only resource that these programs share is the audio card. Most audio
        cards can support multiple programs simultaneously through the WMME driver.
        But some cards may only be able to support one program at a time. You can
        test this by downloading the "diagnostic suite" from the download section of
        "http://www.portaudio.com/". Try running "patest_sine.exe" from two DOS
        windows simultaneously.

        What audio card do you have? What OS?

        > So, I guess it's not me? I don't understand this SynthContext yet,
        > but I thought I somehow needed that to run multiple JSyn programs at
        > the same time, but maybe I was wrong there.

        I wrote a length answer to this question and put it in a new e-mail thread
        called "SynthContext explained".

        > Currently I try to write a
        > simple tuner and metronome. That creates another problem: how to
        > synthesize a 'TOCK' sound.

        You might try the tweaking the Wood Drum sound in the Wire patch at:

        it can be adjusted to give a "Tock" sound. Or it may give you some ideas.

        > But one other problem should be solved by
        > the sound buffering mechanism in JSyn: accurate timing.

        That is a critical feature that is often overlooked in audio systems.

        Phil Burk