Notam DSP: New JSyn application

  • Arne Morken
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
      Fellow JSynners: We have developed a simple JSyn based
      DSP-application, and are now in the process of testing
      it before making it available to the public.

      If you would try it out and report errors, give us your
      opinions or make any other kind of useful contribution,
      it would be much appreciated! :)

      Menus and dialogs are all in Norwegian for the moment,
      but will eventually be translated to several languages.

      You need Java 1.3.1 or better, and the JSyn142 plugin.
      You can find the program here:

      http://mindmatters.no/dsp/DSP2.htm</a>

      Regards,
      Arne Morken
      www.notam02.no
      www.mindmatters.no
    • douglas irving repetto
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
        i get:

        ERROR: JSyn Plugin ble ikke funnet! Du kan laste ned JSyn Plugin her .

        which i assume is telling me that i don't have the jsyn plugin. but i
        do, and your app makes sound! so there's something strange about your
        plugin detection. i'm using safari on osX.

        douglas

        >Fellow JSynners: We have developed a simple JSyn based
        >DSP-application, and are now in the process of testing
        >it before making it available to the public.
        >
        >If you would try it out and report errors, give us your
        >opinions or make any other kind of useful contribution,
        >it would be much appreciated! :)
        >
        >Menus and dialogs are all in Norwegian for the moment,
        >but will eventually be translated to several languages.
        >
        >You need Java 1.3.1 or better, and the JSyn142 plugin.
        >You can find the program here:

        >http://mindmatters.no/dsp/DSP2.htm</a>
        >
        >Regards,
        >Arne Morken
        >www.notam02.no
        >www.mindmatters.no
        >

        >JSyn home at: http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

        ................................................http://artbots.org
        .....douglas.....irving.........................http://dorkbot.org
        .................................http://shoko.calarts.edu/musicdsp
        .......... repetto..............http://music.columbia.edu/organism
        ................................http://music.columbia.edu/~douglas
      • Bradford Garton
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
          Arne --

          Looks really great, although I'm also suffering from the grayed-out menu
          syndrome. In fact, I didn't even realize that there were menus at the top
          of the main screen until Douglas came in to show me. On my OSX/IE5.2 the
          menu at the top appears as a very light band of grey stripes (*very*
          light, hardly noticeable).

          But it looks like it will be a pretty fun app!

          brad

          On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Arne Morken wrote:

          > Fellow JSynners: We have developed a simple JSyn based
          > DSP-application, and are now in the process of testing
          > it before making it available to the public.
          >
          > If you would try it out and report errors, give us your
          > opinions or make any other kind of useful contribution,
          > it would be much appreciated! :)
          >
          > Menus and dialogs are all in Norwegian for the moment,
          > but will eventually be translated to several languages.
          >
          > You need Java 1.3.1 or better, and the JSyn142 plugin.
          > You can find the program here:

          > http://mindmatters.no/dsp/DSP2.htm</a>
          >
          > Regards,
          > Arne Morken
          > www.notam02.no
          > www.mindmatters.no
          >

          > JSyn home at: http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

        • Phil Burk
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
            Hello Arne,

            > Fellow JSynners: We have developed a simple JSyn based
            > DSP-application, and are now in the process of testing
            > it before making it available to the public.
            > "http://mindmatters.no/dsp/DSP2.htm"

            WOW! This is fabulous. I can't read Norwegian but I could figure out what FM
            and a few other things meant.

            I selected a region in track 1 then picked FM from the menu. I was able to
            adjust the envelopes and then I hit the green triangle play icon. The system
            rendered for a second or two and the sound appeared. I then clicked the icon
            at the lower left and the sound appeared in the multi-track display. I
            repeated the process with several other synthesis techniques and built up a
            nice sound which I could play using the transport controls at the bottom of
            the Applet. It sounded great. I really like the basic idea. It is hard to
            comment on the useability because any confusion I had could easily be
            attributed to my ignorance of Norwegian.

            Question: Are you doing the synthesis in Java and the mixing in JSyn?

            At one point I tried to save a mix to disk (I think) and got this error
            message. I just selected the default mix.wav to the desktop. I may have hit
            cancel and didn't realize it.

            Lagret 12 av 12.75 sekunder til disk.
            StreamRecorder.stop() wait for join()
            StreamRecorder.stop() got join.
            StreamRecorder.run() caught java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor
            java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor
            at java.io.RandomAccessFile.writeBytes(Native Method)
            at java.io.RandomAccessFile.write(Unknown Source)
            at com.softsynth.util.RandomOutputStream.write(RandomOutputStream.java:33)
            at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
            at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
            at java.io.FilterOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
            at java.io.FilterOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
            at java.io.FilterOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
            at com.softsynth.jsyn.util.StreamRecorder.transfer(StreamRecorder.java:116)
            at com.softsynth.jsyn.util.StreamRecorder.run(StreamRecorder.java:125)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
            StreamRecorder.run() exiting.

            Phil Burk
          • John Clavin
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2003
              Hi Arne, This is a very nice applet. The FM rendering synthesizer
              works very well. I like how one can change the modulation frequency
              while also changing the modulation depth. It can be used to make very
              unusual and unique sounds.

              John Clavin
              Universal Studios Hollywood

              --- In jsyn@yahoogroups.com, "Arne Morken" <arne.morken@m...> wrote:
              > Fellow JSynners: We have developed a simple JSyn based
              > DSP-application, and are now in the process of testing
              > it before making it available to the public.
              > "http://mindmatters.no/dsp/DSP2.htm"
            • P.J.Leonard
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2003
                Likewise (but not even any sound) using Linux Mozilla.

                cheers Paul.

                douglas irving repetto wrote:
                > i get:
                >
                > ERROR: JSyn Plugin ble ikke funnet! Du kan laste ned JSyn Plugin her .
                >

                > which i assume is telling me that i don't have the jsyn plugin. but i
                > do, and your app makes sound! so there's something strange about your
                > plugin detection. i'm using safari on osX.
                >

                > douglas
                >

                >>Fellow JSynners: We have developed a simple JSyn based
                >>DSP-application, and are now in the process of testing
                >>it before making it available to the public.
                >>
                >>If you would try it out and report errors, give us your
                >>opinions or make any other kind of useful contribution,
                >>it would be much appreciated! :)
                >>
                >>Menus and dialogs are all in Norwegian for the moment,
                >>but will eventually be translated to several languages.
                >>
                >>You need Java 1.3.1 or better, and the JSyn142 plugin.
                >>You can find the program here:

                >>http://mindmatters.no/dsp/DSP2.htm</a>
                >>
                >>Regards,
                >>Arne Morken
                >>www.notam02.no
                >>www.mindmatters.no
                >>

                >>JSyn home at: http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

              • Scott Wilson
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2003
                  Well, with a Mac laptop you can use AudioHijack or Wiretap to record
                  whatever is going out. So if you play a CD and set the mic input to
                  play through in AudioMIDI setup, then it should work.

                  I know you have compatibility worries, but they might not be as bad as
                  you think. Audio files, MSOffice, networking, etc. no problem. iBooks
                  start at about a $1000 new; used cheaper.

                  Not a zealot, but just thought I'd mention it. I use both Mac and
                  Windows machines, and have no problems with interoperability.

                  S.