Multichannel

  • Michael Schmitz
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hello,

      Thanks to Phil for the hint about the InterpolatingDelayUnit and as well
      to Max, I knew Ville Pulkki's VBAP paper already...

      I have some difficulties now using my multichannel soundcard (WinXP), I
      get the following message from Portaudio:

      PortAudio: PaHost_OpenOutputStream() failed!
      Pa_OpenStream error: Host error.
      CSynF_StartAudio failed!
      com.softsynth.jsyn.SynthException: JSyn error: Host initialization
      failed. - , 0x0=0, 0x0=0

      I used the example code (Devices) to generate this error message. I can
      see all output channels as pairs and also the interleaved multichannel
      driver. But I get this error whenever I select a device and push the
      play button - except for the Microsoft Soundmapper. And except MS
      Soundmapper with 2 channels all other devices show 65535 channels...

      Thanks,
      Michael
    • Phil Burk
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hello Micheal,

        > I have some difficulties now using my multichannel soundcard (WinXP), I
        > play button - except for the Microsoft Soundmapper. And except MS
        > Soundmapper with 2 channels all other devices show 65535 channels...

        This is caused by a WinXP bug that returns a bad numChannels when querying
        for device info.

        I believe that there may be a workaround in the version of the JSynV142.dll
        that is in the Wire10Demo. That workaround is not in the SDK. Please give
        the DLL from Wire a try and let me know if it fixes the problem. If so then
        I will update the DLL in the SDK.

        To use DLL from Wire:

        1) Download Wire10Demo for Windows here:

        http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/developers/archives/wire10demo.zip

        2) Take JSynV142.dll file from Wire10 and put it in the folders:
        jsyn142_pc_sdk\lib
        C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

        Try your application.

        Phil Burk
      • Michael Schmitz
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
          Hello Phil,

          I tried your suggestions but without any effect. After copying the dll
          to the system32 folder, I had some changes: all devices report 2
          channels now, as well does the multichannel one :-(
          The sample app device will then just play the sinus wave on 2 channels.
          However, if I try to play something beyond channels 0 and 1 with
          ChannelOut, I will only hear something on channel 1 - even if I didn't
          put any signal there.

          Any more ideas?

          Thanks,
          Michael

          > From: "Phil Burk" <philburk@...>
          > Subject: Re: Multichannel
          >
          > Hello Micheal,
          >
          > > I have some difficulties now using my multichannel
          > soundcard (WinXP),
          > > I play button - except for the Microsoft Soundmapper. And
          > except MS
          > > Soundmapper with 2 channels all other devices show 65535 channels...
          >
          > This is caused by a WinXP bug that returns a bad numChannels
          > when querying for device info.
          >
          > I believe that there may be a workaround in the version of
          > the JSynV142.dll that is in the Wire10Demo. That workaround
          > is not in the SDK. Please give the DLL from Wire a try and
          > let me know if it fixes the problem. If so then I will update
          > the DLL in the SDK.
          >
          > To use DLL from Wire:
          >
          > 1) Download Wire10Demo for Windows here:

          http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/developers/archives/wire10demo.zip

          2) Take JSynV142.dll file from Wire10 and put it in the folders:
          jsyn142_pc_sdk\lib
          C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

          Try your application.

          Phil Burk

        • James D. High
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
            which dll are you using?

            Is it the ASIO or the WMME dll?

            I found that the ASIO gave me 1 device with many channels... this would probably be because the multichannel device is the only device that uses ASIO. with WMME i got a bunch of devices with 2 channels each, the multi-channel card in my case was split into a bunch of devices.

            I dont know if this helps? beyond this i think Phil will have to help you.

            Thanks
            James High

            I tried your suggestions but without any effect. After copying the dll
            to the system32 folder, I had some changes: all devices report 2
            channels now, as well does the multichannel one :-(
            The sample app device will then just play the sinus wave on 2 channels.
            However, if I try to play something beyond channels 0 and 1 with
            ChannelOut, I will only hear something on channel 1 - even if I didn't
            put any signal there.

            Any more ideas?

            Thanks,
            Michael

            > From: "Phil Burk" <philburk@...>
            > Subject: Re: Multichannel
            >
            > Hello Micheal,
            >
            > > I have some difficulties now using my multichannel
            > soundcard (WinXP),
            > > I play button - except for the Microsoft Soundmapper. And
            > except MS
            > > Soundmapper with 2 channels all other devices show 65535 channels...
            >
            > This is caused by a WinXP bug that returns a bad numChannels
            > when querying for device info.
            >
            > I believe that there may be a workaround in the version of
            > the JSynV142.dll that is in the Wire10Demo. That workaround
            > is not in the SDK. Please give the DLL from Wire a try and
            > let me know if it fixes the problem. If so then I will update
            > the DLL in the SDK.
            >
            > To use DLL from Wire:
            >
            > 1) Download Wire10Demo for Windows here:

            http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/developers/archives/wire10demo.zip

            2) Take JSynV142.dll file from Wire10 and put it in the folders:
            jsyn142_pc_sdk\lib
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

            Try your application.

            Phil Burk

            JSyn home at: http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

          • Phil Burk
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
              Hello Michael,

              Thanks for running that test.

              > I tried your suggestions but without any effect. After copying the dll
              > to the system32 folder, I had some changes: all devices report 2
              > channels now, as well does the multichannel one :-(

              OK. So the later DLL allows JSyn to initialize and run as stereo but not as
              an N>2 channel device.

              This is consistent with the channel bug in WinXP. I think currently the only
              solution for multi-channel (N>2) on WinXP is using the ASIO DLL for JSyn.
              You would also need to make sure your device provides an ASIO driver.

              The ASIO version of the JSyn DLL is considered an enhanced feature and is
              available as a benefit to registered JSyn licensees. It can be downloaded
              from the password protected section of the JSyn site.

              http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/developers/register.html

              Phil Burk
            • Michael Mikkelsen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
                Sorry to interrupt, but you caught my attention:

                Is there a library for Linux to support things like an MAudio 2496 with
                JSyn? PortAudio? Jack? Alsa?

                I have one, but haven't used it. 8-)

                Thanx.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
                  > Is there a library for Linux to support things like an MAudio 2496 with
                  > JSyn? PortAudio? Jack? Alsa?

                  JSyn uses PortAudio for audio device access.
                  So if PortAudio supports a specific device on then JSyn can support it.
                  JSyn may need to be recomopiled if support was recently added to PortAudio.

                  I don't know about Jack or Alsa support.

                  So I suggest checking about support on the PortAudio list and the Linux
                  Audio list.

                  http://www.portaudio.com/

                  Phil Burk
                • Michael Schmitz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
                    Thanks again Phil for all the efforts you put in this mailing list.
                    I didn't have the ASIO dll yet, I will download it after I received the
                    licensing information...

                    While waiting for it, I'd like to hear your opinion if this approach to
                    my problem makes any sense:
                    The aim is to spatialize moving sound sources with 8 speakers (5 in the
                    horizontal, 3 elevated) with triplet-wise panning and additionally
                    delays to get some sense for depth (doppler effects). Amplitudes and
                    delays should also be adjusted to different speaker distances.

                    Now I thought to create 8 SampleReaders from each SynthSample (1 for
                    each channel) then compute envelopes for amplitude and delay (connecting
                    them to SampleReader.amplitude / InterpolatingDelayUnit.delay) for each
                    channel and then mix them together with the SynthMixer (if i need to
                    play more than 1 sample at a time) and then giving them to ChannelOut
                    1-8.
                    So it means that I would have 8 SynthSample, SampleReader and Delay
                    objects plus the Envelopes and the EnvelopePlayers....which will be over
                    50 objects for each sample I want to play - doesn't look much like the
                    best way to do it at first sight.

                    Michael

                    #############

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
                      Hello Michael,

                      > Thanks again Phil for all the efforts you put in this mailing list.

                      Thanks for your support and thanks for doing cool things with JSyn.

                      > The aim is to spatialize moving sound sources with 8 speakers (5 in the
                      > So it means that I would have 8 SynthSample, SampleReader and Delay
                      > objects plus the Envelopes and the EnvelopePlayers....which will be over
                      > 50 objects for each sample I want to play -

                      You can cut that down a bit.

                      1) You only need one SynthSample per sample. It is read-only and can be
                      shared between multiple players.

                      2) You may only need one SampleReader per sample. If it is a mono source
                      that is being distributed to multiple speakers, then just use one sample and
                      one player and then connect the player to multiple delays.

                      Note that JSyn units have multiple fan-out and single fan-in. That means an
                      output can be connected to several inputs but an input can only be connected
                      to one output. Note that BusInputs and BusOutputs have the reverse
                      connection behavior. You might want to have a BusReader for each speaker
                      instead of using the SynthMixer. Then you can just connect as many sources
                      to the speakers bus as needed. Think of the bus as a summing node.
                      Everything connected to the bus gets mixed together.

                      3) You might want to use LinearLags instead of envelopes. They have the same
                      linear slope generator but without the queue.

                      Phil Burk