audio sampling [newbie]

  • osm77ca
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2002
      question?

      can jsyn take an audio file and chop it up in to the defferent
      frequencies? so you can track the values at the different ranges.

      like in winamp. it has the fluctuating bar graph when a song is on,
      that is what i need to program but i dont need the actual
      visualiztion effect i just want to store the valuse in different
      variables.

      is this possible or does any 1 else know of any other packages i
      should be looking into

      thanks alot :)
    • Phil Burk
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2002
        > can jsyn take an audio file and chop it up in to the defferent
        > frequencies? so you can track the values at the different ranges.

        Yes. Here's how:

        - connect your signal to the "input"s of a bunch of Filter_Bandpass units
        - set each filter's frequency to cover an area of interest
        - increase the Q to make the bands more narrow
        - connect the output of each filter to a PeakFollower
        - get() the output of the PeakFollower which will be the amplitude for that
        band

        For an example, check out The "analyser.xml" patch in Wire. Replace the old
        SVF filters with Filter_BandPass units.

        Let me know if you need more details.
        Don't forget to check out the tutorial and programming guide:

        http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/tutorial/

        http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/docs/usersguide.html

        Phil Burk
      • m m
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2002
          thanks for the re:
          i was reading the online documentation, right now it seems pretty overwhelming because i am a newbie and just starting off, but so far i seen examples on generating your own tones, but what if u want to take the music from a wav file and appply the differnt band pass filters? is this possible
          if u can make me a small script on how to read a wav file or any other format n apply a filter to it that woudl be great
          thanks again =o>
          Phil Burk
          wrote:> can jsyn take an audio file and chop it up in to the defferent
          > frequencies? so you can track the values at the different ranges.

          Yes. Here's how:

          - connect your signal to the "input"s of a bunch of Filter_Bandpass units
          - set each filter's frequency to cover an area of interest
          - increase the Q to make the bands more narrow
          - connect the output of each filter to a PeakFollower
          - get() the output of the PeakFollower which will be the amplitude for that
          band

          For an example, check out The "analyser.xml" patch in Wire. Replace the old
          SVF filters with Filter_BandPass units.

          Let me know if you need more details.
          Don't forget to check out the tutorial and programming guide:

          http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/tutorial/

          http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/docs/usersguide.html

          Phil Burk

          JSyn home at: http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

        • Phil Burk
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2002
            > if u want to take the music from a wav file and appply the differnt band
            pass filters? is this possible

            Yes. Once a signal is in the JSyn engine then you can use any filter or
            processing unit. It doesn't matter where the signal came from.

            > if u can make me a small script on how to read a wav file or any other
            format n apply a filter to it that woudl be great

            Sorry. Unfortunately I am too swamped to write custom programs at the
            moment. And you'd still need to learn JSyn to achieve your goal.

            Here's a plan:

            - Start with JSynExamples.TJ_Sample2.java which reads a WAV file and plays
            it.

            - Create a SynthCircuit with a Filter_BandPass and a PeakFollower using Wire
            or writing it by hand.

            - Make a bunch of analyser circuits with frequencies an octave apart and
            store them in an array.

            - Connect the output of the sample player to each analyser circuit.

            For example:

            freq = 100.0;
            for( int i=0; i<analysers.length; i++ )
            {
            analysers[i] = new AnalyserCircuit( freq );
            sample.output.connect( analysers[i].input );
            freq = freq * 2.0;
            }

            If you are doing this for a company and wish to hire a consultant then we
            have folks available for custom software development.

            http://www.softsynth.com/contractor.html

            Phil Burk
          • m m
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2002
              !!thanks alot for ur help!!
              Phil Burk
              wrote:> if u want to take the music from a wav file and appply the differnt band
              pass filters? is this possible

              Yes. Once a signal is in the JSyn engine then you can use any filter or
              processing unit. It doesn't matter where the signal came from.

              > if u can make me a small script on how to read a wav file or any other
              format n apply a filter to it that woudl be great

              Sorry. Unfortunately I am too swamped to write custom programs at the
              moment. And you'd still need to learn JSyn to achieve your goal.

              Here's a plan:

              - Start with JSynExamples.TJ_Sample2.java which reads a WAV file and plays
              it.

              - Create a SynthCircuit with a Filter_BandPass and a PeakFollower using Wire
              or writing it by hand.

              - Make a bunch of analyser circuits with frequencies an octave apart and
              store them in an array.

              - Connect the output of the sample player to each analyser circuit.

              For example:

              freq = 100.0;
              for( int i=0; i {
              analysers[i] = new AnalyserCircuit( freq );
              sample.output.connect( analysers[i].input );
              freq = freq * 2.0;
              }

              If you are doing this for a company and wish to hire a consultant then we
              have folks available for custom software development.

              http://www.softsynth.com/contractor.html

              Phil Burk

              JSyn home at: http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

            • matthew yee-king
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 26, 2002
                Hello!

                I was just wondering if there is any news on a potential powerpc build
                of jsyn for linux.

                I am just about to invest in some electronic drums and would love to be
                able to trigger some jsyn stuff with them, but i sold my i386 and only
                have a powerbook running linux now....

                cheers

                matthew
              • Phil Burk
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 26, 2002
                  Hello Matthew,

                  > I was just wondering if there is any news on a potential powerpc build
                  > of jsyn for linux.

                  I am not currently planning a native JSyn for Linux PPC. But I am planning
                  to release a 100% Pure Java version of the JSyn engine which will use
                  JavaSound. Then JSyn will run on any platform that supports JavaSound. I
                  don't know if the latency will be acceptable for drumming but hopefully it
                  will work. I still plan to support the native JSyn engine for Windows, Mac
                  OS, and Linux PPC as an "accelerated" implementation.

                  Phil Burk