projects?

  • Phil Burk
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2000
      Hello,

      I am writing from ICMC in Berlin. There have been a number of great papers.
      Some of these could lead to new unit generators for JSyn.

      As I talk to people, I have been finding that there are more people using
      JSyn than I realized. Also there are about a hundred people on this e-mail
      list but only a few ever write. If you are working on a JSyn project, or are
      just exploring the package, please send a note to ths e-mail list and share
      your interests and experiences.

      Thanks,
      Phil Burk

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Nico Wald
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2000
        Hello Phil,

        I´m still working on the "Virtual Cembalo" which uses JSyn to play samples
        of a real cembalo (each key has it´s own sample). Also it is possible to use
        different temperaments like: werckmeister III, pure major, mean tone,
        pythagorean, silbermann ... .
        "Virtual Cembalo" is part of the project "Wunder mit Tönen" which is about
        J. S. Bach´s "Well Tempered Clavier" (which Bach finished 1722 in Koethen).
        There will be a permanent museum installation beginning October 14, 2000 at:
        Bachgedenkstaette Schloss Koethen
        06366 Koethen/Sachsen-Anhalt
        Germany

        Greetings, Nico

        PS: To see how it works you can try this internet-version (uses a sawtooth
        waveform):
        http://home.c-nit.de/bwald/nwald/VC.html
      • Nick Didkovsky
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2000
          Dear Nico,

          I enjoyed your applet, especially being able to play two tunings at once and
          hear the difference.

          I had to click in the applet again after clicking a button, to regain the key
          listener focus. You can add the same KeyListener to all your buttons to solve
          this. Clicking on a button will then dispatch KeyEvents to your main handler.

          Here's a dopey illustration:

          package misc;

          import java.awt.*;
          import java.awt.event.*;

          /**
          Clicking on a button pulls focus away from other components. This might be
          annoying when you are
          grabbing key events in another component. Just add the same KeyListener to all
          your buttons, as this
          class shows.
          @author Nick Didkovsky */

          public class KeyPanel extends Panel implements KeyListener, ActionListener {

          Button clickMe;

          public KeyPanel() {
          add(clickMe = new Button("Click me and keep typing"));
          clickMe.addActionListener(this);
          clickMe.addKeyListener(this); // add same key listener to button so focus
          changes don't mess you up
          addKeyListener(this);
          }

          public void keyPressed(KeyEvent e) {
          System.out.println("keyPressed: " + e);
          }

          public void keyReleased(KeyEvent e) {
          System.out.println("keyReleased: " + e);
          }

          public void keyTyped(KeyEvent e) {
          System.out.println("keyTyped: " + e);
          }

          Object source = e.getSource();
          if (source == clickMe) {
          System.out.println("Button pressed");
          }
          }

          Frame f = new Frame("do some typing");
          f.addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter() {
          public void windowClosing(WindowEvent e) {
          System.exit(0);
          }
          });

          f.add(new KeyPanel());
          f.setSize(400, 200);
          f.setVisible(true);
          }

          }

          best,
          Nick

          Nico Wald wrote:

          > Hello Phil,
          >
          > I´m still working on the "Virtual Cembalo" which uses JSyn to play samples
          > of a real cembalo (each key has it´s own sample). Also it is possible to use
          > different temperaments like: werckmeister III, pure major, mean tone,
          > pythagorean, silbermann ... .
          > "Virtual Cembalo" is part of the project "Wunder mit Tönen" which is about
          > J. S. Bach´s "Well Tempered Clavier" (which Bach finished 1722 in Koethen).
          > There will be a permanent museum installation beginning October 14, 2000 at:
          > Bachgedenkstaette Schloss Koethen
          > 06366 Koethen/Sachsen-Anhalt
          > Germany
          >
          > Greetings, Nico
          >
          > PS: To see how it works you can try this internet-version (uses a sawtooth
          > waveform):
          > http://home.c-nit.de/bwald/nwald/VC.html
          >
          > For SW updates and information on JSyn browse:
          > http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn
        • James Forrest
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2000
            Nico, and the jsyn community:

            I tried running this applet with IE 5.5 and the new plugin, and I get the
            following error in the java console:

            java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jmidi.MidiPortException
            at com/ms/vm/loader/URLClassLoader.loadClass
            at java/lang/ClassLoader.loadClassInternal
            at VirtualCembalo/Cembalo02.init
            at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedCall0
            at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.securedCall
            at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
            at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.processSentEvent
            at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.run
            at java/lang/Thread.run

            Any ideas?

            Also, I seem to get two copies of every post to this list. Phil, any reason
            why this might be happening? (I've been away, so if this is an
            already-resolved list issue, please excuse my ignorance).

            -Jamie

            My Groups | jsyn Main Page | Start a new group!

[...]

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Nico Wald
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2000
              James,

              the applet looks for the JavaMidi API and uses it if available. If not it
              should work too (it does work for me but I´ll check the code).
              You can download JavaMidi here (this should solve your problem):
              http://www.softsynth.com/javamidi

              Greetings, Nico

            • Robert Marsanyi
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1, 2000
                > I´m still working on the "Virtual Cembalo" which uses JSyn to play samples
                > of a real cembalo (each key has it´s own sample). Also it is possible to
                use

                Fun!

                --rbt
              • Joe Chang
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2000
                  Phil Burk wrote:

                  > If you are working on a JSyn project, or are
                  > just exploring the package, please send a note to ths e-mail list and share
                  > your interests and experiences.

                  Hi Phil

                  I have two projects.

                  One is MAX-like software which can convert its patch to a JSyn circuit.
                  A couple of months ago, I told you about this project briefly. Do you remember?
                  But this project is not really being processed due to some reason.

                  The other project is to make interactive graphics with sound.
                  I work with one of my students who designs web pages.
                  Currently she only designs graphics without sound, or with
                  simple background sound that is not at all interactive.

                  But we want to have both, graphics and sound that are highly interactive
                  with users.
                  JSyn is great for this project ;)
                  I think we will be able to post a simple work soon on my web page.
                  I will let you know when it's finished.

                  Joe (Jaeho) Chang
                  http://www.hahaha3.com/
                • Nick Didkovsky
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2000
                    I love the flies!

                    Joe Chang wrote:

                    > Phil Burk wrote:
                    >
                    > > If you are working on a JSyn project, or are
                    > > just exploring the package, please send a note to ths e-mail list and share
                    > > your interests and experiences.
                    >
                    > Hi Phil
                    >
                    > I have two projects.
                    >
                    > One is MAX-like software which can convert its patch to a JSyn circuit.
                    > A couple of months ago, I told you about this project briefly. Do you remember?
                    > But this project is not really being processed due to some reason.
                    >
                    > The other project is to make interactive graphics with sound.
                    > I work with one of my students who designs web pages.
                    > Currently she only designs graphics without sound, or with
                    > simple background sound that is not at all interactive.
                    >
                    > But we want to have both, graphics and sound that are highly interactive
                    > with users.
                    > JSyn is great for this project ;)
                    > I think we will be able to post a simple work soon on my web page.
                    > I will let you know when it's finished.
                    >
                    > Joe (Jaeho) Chang
                    > http://www.hahaha3.com/
                    >
                    > For SW updates and information on JSyn browse:
                    > http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn
                  • Deborah Barber
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2000
                      Hi all,

                      I am just getting back into programming and jsyn after a long break.
                      have to finish my Master's thesis! My plan is to build 2 GUI's for a
                      "mini-synthesizer" with at least one using the Swing package. I have
                      choice of a Windows NT laptop or a Mackintosh G3 to develop on. Does
                      anyone have opinions on which is the least buggy to work with jsyn?
                      If
                      this isn't a good topic for the list, then email me personally and I
                      will post a summary for everyone.

                      Thank you,
                      Deborah
                    • Nico Wald
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 3, 2000
                        Re: [jsyn] Re: projects? Hi Deborah,

                        I use a Macintosh G3 and have very much fun with jsyn.

                        Greetings, Nico

                        From: "Deborah Barber" <decibel@...>
                        Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 23:20:27 -0000
                        To: jsyn@egroups.com
                        Subject: [jsyn] Re: projects?

                        My Groups <http://www.egroups.com/mygroups>  | jsyn Main Page <http://www.egroups.com/group/jsyn> | Start a new group! <http://click.egroups.com/1/8150/8/_/831355/_/967936834/>

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 9, 2000
                          Nick,

                          thank you for your help, I´ll fix the applet soon.
                          I made sound and video examples of the "Wunder mit Tönen" project.

                          - MP3´s of the "Virtual Cembalo" (using real hapsicord samples; Werckmeister
                          III/Keynote C/A=415 Hz):
                          http://home.c-nit.de/bwald/nwald/BWV850.mp3
                          http://home.c-nit.de/bwald/nwald/BWV866.mp3

                          - the next MP3 uses different scales (0-15 sec Werckmeister III, 16-30 sec
                          Pure Major, 31-45 sec both at the same time)
                          http://home.c-nit.de/bwald/nwald/BWV846.mp3

                          - this is what the installation will look like (except the cables):
                          http://home.c-nit.de/bwald/nwald/Wunder_mit_Toenen.mov

                          Greetings, Nico

                        • Nick Didkovsky
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 9, 2000
                            Amazing moment when the Werckmeister III and the Pure Major kick in together.
                            Nick