More Multi-channel/ multi-context questions

  • Jeremy Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2002
      I don't have a multi channel card to test on at this moment, but I'd like to
      verify some functionality.

      Question 1: Different Channels = Different Contexts.
      As I understand it, on a multi channel card, each channel will be a
      different Synth Context.

      Question 2: Can I lineOut to multiple contexts?
      For Example: If I have a SampleReader, which I have created on one context,
      Can I then create a LineOut on a different context, and connect the two? You
      can assume same sample rates/numChannels. The goal here is to have a
      'preview' and a live channel.

      Regards,
      -JD
    • Jeremy Davis
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2002
        I see the answer to this is:

        Exception in thread "main" com.softsynth.jsyn.SynthException: JSyn error:
        Object
        not part of CSynContext. - Output, 0x10001=65537, 0x1010000=16842752
        at com.softsynth.jsyn.SynthPort.connectUnits(Unknown Source)
        at com.softsynth.jsyn.SynthInput.connect(Unknown Source)
        at com.softsynth.jsyn.SynthOutput.connect(Unknown Source)

        Is there some other way to achieve this effect?
        -JD

        I don't have a multi channel card to test on at this moment, but I'd like to
        verify some functionality.

        Question 1: Different Channels = Different Contexts.
        As I understand it, on a multi channel card, each channel will be a
        different Synth Context.

        Question 2: Can I lineOut to multiple contexts?
        For Example: If I have a SampleReader, which I have created on one context,
        Can I then create a LineOut on a different context, and connect the two? You
        can assume same sample rates/numChannels. The goal here is to have a
        'preview' and a live channel.

        Regards,
        -JD

        JSyn home at: http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

      • Jeremy Davis
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2002
          OK I promise to think more..
          How about using an interleaved sound card that has all 8(n) channels on the
          same context..
          Yes?

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2002
            > How about using an interleaved sound card that has all 8(n) channels on
            the
            > same context..

            That is the way to go if you want one piece outputting to more than two
            channels. For some devices, the ASIO JSyn libraries are more likely to
            provide an interleaved device than the WMME JSyn library. Often on WMME you
            get multiple pairs which are independant.

            Phil Burk