Re: Does JsUnit 2.2 support Firefox 3?

  • Edward Hieatt
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2008
      --- In jsunit@yahoogroups.com, "dhwang101" <dhwang101@...> wrote:

      > JsUnit 2.1 doesn't work in Firefox 3 Beta 3 it seems. Does 2.2 support
      > Firefox 3?

      Here's an update on the problems with Firefox 3 Beta support:

      1. There appears to be what some consider a bug in Firefox 3 in
      which JS access across frames has changed from Firefox 2. It's
      discussed here:
      http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3172136&sid=dfe544704de078abd2e7b7c08da5c711
      2. JsUnit does inter-frame JS calls, and this is why there's a
      problem with JsUnit 2.1 and the currently packaged 2.2 alpha (running
      over HTTP is fine though).
      3. In addition, Firefox 3 no longer allows JavaScript to access the
      full path entered by the user in a "file" field (the "browse..."
      functionality). This is also true of IE 7 and Opera. When running
      over the file protocol, JsUnit uses a browse field for those browsers
      that support reading the full path from JS, and for those that don't,
      it instead making the user just enter the test file path manually.

      Here's the good news:

      * To get around the "bug" about inter-frame JS calls, you can set
      the preference security.fileuri.origin_policy to the value 3 (that is,
      type about:config in the URL field, enter
      "security.fileuri.origin_policy" to filter down to that preference,
      double click on it, and enter 3). JsUnit then behaves normally...
      * ...except that because of issue 3 above, the "browse..."
      functionality doesn't work. I've just checked in a change that adds
      Firefox 3 to the list of browsers that don't support "browse..."
      though, so if you get the latest JsUnit from head, it will work. This
      change will be in the upcoming JsUnit 2.2 release.

      So, we'll survive this way for now.

      I'd suggest we lobby Mozilla for either a fix to the "bug" or a more
      easily visible preference checkbox in the UI to allow inter-frame JS
      calls. Anyone a member of MozillaZine? If so, please post on the
      thread I linked to above that we're having problems too.

      Just so everyone's aware, we're working on a new Test Runner UI for
      more modern browsers, to be released in JsUnit 2.3. You'll then have
      the choice of using:

      * The current Test Runner, which works on all kinds of ancient
      browsers (and so is good for farms), or
      * The modern Test Runner, which doesn't use frames, is faster, but
      only works on more modern browsers (and so is good for running on your
      developer workstation)

      I expect the modern Test Runner won't have this issue in Firefox 3
      because it doesn't use frames.

      - Edward
    • Christian Giordano
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11 3:38 AM
        --- In jsunit@yahoogroups.com, "dhwang101" <dhwang101@...> wrote:

        > JsUnit 2.1 doesn't work in Firefox 3 Beta 3 it seems. Does 2.2 support
        > Firefox 3?

        I tested on my mac, it seems to work fine on a webserver, not locally.

        Cheers, chr
      • Edward Hieatt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11 7:40 AM
          See this post: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/jsunit/message/1075