Re: [json] ECMAScript

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
      On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Douglas Crockford
      <douglas@...> wrote:

      > The ECMAScript committee is now looking at native JSON support.
      >
      > There are a number of JSON packages available now. Which of those
      > should be the model for the native standard?

      Hi Doug. Just to clarify: by native standard, I assume this means
      processing model that would be part of next version of
      Java/ECMAScript. Is this correct? And/or would this perhaps be
      expected to expand to DOM-like language-agnostic model?

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Tatu Saloranta" <tsaloranta@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Douglas Crockford
        > <douglas@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > The ECMAScript committee is now looking at native JSON support.
        > >
        > > There are a number of JSON packages available now. Which of those
        > > should be the model for the native standard?
        >
        > Hi Doug. Just to clarify: by native standard, I assume this means
        > processing model that would be part of next version of
        > Java/ECMAScript. Is this correct? And/or would this perhaps be
        > expected to expand to DOM-like language-agnostic model?

        We want to provide a built-in parse function and a built-in stringify
        function. We are trying to determine the details.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
          TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
          ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
          meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
          the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved next year.

          It will conform to the implementation of http://www.JSON.org/json2.js.
          Microsoft has already announced that they will ship compatible support
          in JScript in IE8. It is likely that the other browsers will also
          provide it.

          json2 provides a global object with two methods:

          JSON.stringify(value, replacer, indent)

          JSON.parse(text, reviver)
        • Kris Zyp
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
            > TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
            > ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
            > meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
            > the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved next year.

            ES3.1 or ES4 (or both)?
            Kris

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
              --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Zyp" <kriszyp@...> wrote:

              > > TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
              > > ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
              > > meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
              > > the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved
              next year.

              > ES3.1 or ES4 (or both)?

              The designations have not been finalized yet. It is likely to be in
              the next edition and all future editions.
            • Ric Johnson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
                Doug,

                This is a great vindication of your hard work! As a developer, I
                thank you for introducing JSON to us and driving though all the discovery.

                Ric