ECMAScript

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 22 10:44 AM
      The ECMAScript committee is now looking at native JSON support.

      There are a number of JSON packages available now. Which of those
      should be the model for the native standard?
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 25 10:55 AM
        On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Douglas Crockford
        <douglas@...> wrote:

        > The ECMAScript committee is now looking at native JSON support.
        >
        > There are a number of JSON packages available now. Which of those
        > should be the model for the native standard?

        Hi Doug. Just to clarify: by native standard, I assume this means
        processing model that would be part of next version of
        Java/ECMAScript. Is this correct? And/or would this perhaps be
        expected to expand to DOM-like language-agnostic model?

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 25 12:56 PM
          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Tatu Saloranta" <tsaloranta@...> wrote:

          > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Douglas Crockford
          > <douglas@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The ECMAScript committee is now looking at native JSON support.
          > >
          > > There are a number of JSON packages available now. Which of those
          > > should be the model for the native standard?
          >
          > Hi Doug. Just to clarify: by native standard, I assume this means
          > processing model that would be part of next version of
          > Java/ECMAScript. Is this correct? And/or would this perhaps be
          > expected to expand to DOM-like language-agnostic model?

          We want to provide a built-in parse function and a built-in stringify
          function. We are trying to determine the details.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
            TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
            ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
            meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
            the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved next year.

            It will conform to the implementation of http://www.JSON.org/json2.js.
            Microsoft has already announced that they will ship compatible support
            in JScript in IE8. It is likely that the other browsers will also
            provide it.

            json2 provides a global object with two methods:

            JSON.stringify(value, replacer, indent)

            JSON.parse(text, reviver)
          • Kris Zyp
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
              > TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
              > ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
              > meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
              > the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved next year.

              ES3.1 or ES4 (or both)?
              Kris

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Zyp" <kriszyp@...> wrote:

                > > TC39, the ECMA technical committee responsible for maintenance of the
                > > ECMAScript Programming Language Standard has just completed its
                > > meeting in Oslo. It looks likely that native JSON support will be in
                > > the next edition of the standard which will likely be approved
                next year.

                > ES3.1 or ES4 (or both)?

                The designations have not been finalized yet. It is likely to be in
                the next edition and all future editions.
              • Ric Johnson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
                  Doug,

                  This is a great vindication of your hard work! As a developer, I
                  thank you for introducing JSON to us and driving though all the discovery.

                  Ric