Re: [json] Re: JPath - xpath for json

  • Gustavo Munoz
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
      Have you run any benchmark between both libraries for some of the common
      features?

      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:31 PM, plexium_nerd <plexium.nerd@...> wrote:

      > When I decided to make Jpath, no. It wasn't until afterwards when i
      > found that library. However, they are still pretty different and each
      > offer different features.
      >
      > JPath allows for actual XPath syntax (ie, /book/chapter[/@num=1] ),
      > in addition to XPath-like syntax using the structure of javascript.
      >
      > myjpath.$('book/title').json;
      >
      > does the same as
      >
      > myjpath.query('book/title');
      >

      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "kriszyp"
      > <kriszyp@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
      > > it already provides?
      > > http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/
      > >

      > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "plexium_nerd" <
      > plexium.nerd@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
      > > > others might find it as useful as i did.
      > > >
      > > > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
      > > > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
      > > >
      > > > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
      > > > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks!
      > > > -bryan

      Blog: http://justavo.blogsome.com/

    • plexium_nerd
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
        I'm not sure if this benchmark is useful or not but i threw together a
        set of three tests which just iterates over equivalent queries 1000
        times. Since there's two ways of querying in JPath, I used both to show
        the performance difference. The time represents milliseconds.

        Other than JPath's (xpath query), the two libraries are pretty evenly
        matched as far as speed goes.
        Test 1JSONPath : $.store.book[?(@.price < 10)].title = Sayings of the
        Century,Moby Dick
        Time: 468

        JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[price < 10]/title = Sayings of the
        Century,Moby Dick
        Time: 766

        JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').f('j.$("price").json <
        10').$('title').json = Sayings of the Century,Moby Dick
        Time: 531 Test 2JSONPath : $.store.book[(@.length-1)].title = The Lord
        of the Rings
        Time: 313

        JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[last()]/title = The Lord of the Rings
        Time: 500

        JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').f('j.last()').$('title').json =
        The Lord of the Rings
        Time: 297 Test 3JSONPath : $.store.book[0].title = Sayings of the
        Century
        Time: 171

        JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[0]/title = Sayings of the Century
        Time: 407

        JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').$(0).$('title').json = Sayings
        of the Century
        Time: 172