jsonDiff

  • Michael Schøler
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi JSON group,

      I'm brand new here and was invited here by Douglas Crockford (thanks,
      I'm honored!) based on my work with a jsonDiff implementation, so I
      guess I should share it with you, and immediately run and duck for
      cover fearing for any incoming comments good or bad! ;)

      A quick background info on me seems to be in place (yes, you may skip
      it at your convenience): I work in www.hinnerup.net which is a
      small 'n dynamic IT consultancy business I own in partnership with
      Tobias Hinnerup who originally founded the company in 1998. My day to
      day focus is currently C#, Ajax/JSON, Web 2.0 and data analysis.

      I'm currently using my jsonDiff/jsonMerge functions in a large web
      application for a large customer and the work is very promising,
      although it's still work in progress. With this functionality I'm no
      longer concerned with tracking minute changes the user makes in the
      web user interface, I can just diff the current state with the most
      recently loaded. Furthermore I can compact the data by diff'ing it
      against a "default value" json object before submitting takes place.

      You can find my public release of jsonDiff and jsonMerge and an
      article I wrote about it on my blog here:
      http://michael.hinnerup.net/blog/2008/01/15/diffing_json_objects

      To further compact the json data I store server side I've also
      devised a simple jsonTrim implementation that can cut away any
      specified objects/values. My jsonTrim function can be found here:
      http://michael.hinnerup.net/blog/2008/01/29/trimming_values_from_json_
      objects

      For server side processing xml has been chosen as the preferred
      format. This allows for MS SQL to process the stored json data
      directly eg. in stored procedures by using the built in XPath/XQuery
      parser. To go from json to xml and back again, I have restructured
      Prof. Stefan Goessner's json2xml and xml2json implementations, see my
      article on this matter here:
      http://michael.hinnerup.net/blog/2008/01/26/converting-json-to-xml-
      and-xml-to-json

      That's it more or less. I hope that it will spark some interest and
      hopefully a good discussion on the subject at hand; programmatically
      mutilating json objects beyond recognition at breathtaking speeds ;)

      Best regards to all

      Michael Schøler
      Hinnerup Net ApS
      Denmark
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
        Hi Michael! One quick suggestion:

        On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Michael Schøler
        <michael.scholer@...> wrote:
        > For server side processing xml has been chosen as the preferred
        > format. This allows for MS SQL to process the stored json data
        > directly eg. in stored procedures by using the built in XPath/XQuery
        > parser. To go from json to xml and back again, I have restructured
        > Prof. Stefan Goessner's json2xml and xml2json implementations, see my
        > article on this matter here:
        > http://michael.hinnerup.net/blog/2008/01/26/converting-json-to-xml-
        > and-xml-to-json

        You may be aware of this, but Jettison project at Codehaus:

        http://jettison.codehaus.org/

        also has multiple json<->xml implementations, on Java platform. So you
        may be interested in seeing what it has, and/or is missing.

        Also, I probably want to have a look at jsonDiff to see if it can work
        on streaming json interfaces (I'm working on Jackson json
        parser/writer myself -> http://jackson.codehaus.org).

        -+ Tatu +-
      • Stephen M. McKamey
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
          Also a good mapping for round-trip support of JSON-XML conversion is
          JsonML:

          http://jsonml.org

          It works with any type of XML including XHTML.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
            --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Tatu Saloranta" <tsaloranta@...> wrote:

            > Hi Michael! One quick suggestion:
            >
            > You may be aware of this, but Jettison project at Codehaus:
            >
            > http://jettison.codehaus.org/
            >
            > also has multiple json<->xml implementations, on Java platform. So you
            > may be interested in seeing what it has, and/or is missing.

            I was not aware, I'll have a look at it. But not for the current
            project which is done in C# / .net.

            > Also, I probably want to have a look at jsonDiff to see if it can work
            > on streaming json interfaces (I'm working on Jackson json
            > parser/writer myself -> http://jackson.codehaus.org).

            Great - let me know if you like it.

            /Michael