Re: JPath - xpath for json

  • plexium_nerd
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      When I decided to make Jpath, no. It wasn't until afterwards when i
      found that library. However, they are still pretty different and each
      offer different features.

      JPath allows for actual XPath syntax (ie, /book/chapter[/@num=1] ),
      in addition to XPath-like syntax using the structure of javascript.

      myjpath.$('book/title').json;

      does the same as

      myjpath.query('book/title');

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "kriszyp" <kriszyp@...> wrote:

      > Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
      > it already provides?
      > http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/
      >

      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "plexium_nerd" <plexium.nerd@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
      > > others might find it as useful as i did.
      > >
      > > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
      > > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
      > >
      > > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
      > > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > -bryan

    • Gustavo Munoz
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
        Have you run any benchmark between both libraries for some of the common
        features?

        On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:31 PM, plexium_nerd <plexium.nerd@...> wrote:

        > When I decided to make Jpath, no. It wasn't until afterwards when i
        > found that library. However, they are still pretty different and each
        > offer different features.
        >
        > JPath allows for actual XPath syntax (ie, /book/chapter[/@num=1] ),
        > in addition to XPath-like syntax using the structure of javascript.
        >
        > myjpath.$('book/title').json;
        >
        > does the same as
        >
        > myjpath.query('book/title');
        >

        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "kriszyp"
        > <kriszyp@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
        > > it already provides?
        > > http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/
        > >

        > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "plexium_nerd" <
        > plexium.nerd@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
        > > > others might find it as useful as i did.
        > > >
        > > > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
        > > > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
        > > >
        > > > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
        > > > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks!
        > > > -bryan

        Blog: http://justavo.blogsome.com/

      • plexium_nerd
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
          I'm not sure if this benchmark is useful or not but i threw together a
          set of three tests which just iterates over equivalent queries 1000
          times. Since there's two ways of querying in JPath, I used both to show
          the performance difference. The time represents milliseconds.

          Other than JPath's (xpath query), the two libraries are pretty evenly
          matched as far as speed goes.
          Test 1JSONPath : $.store.book[?(@.price < 10)].title = Sayings of the
          Century,Moby Dick
          Time: 468

          JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[price < 10]/title = Sayings of the
          Century,Moby Dick
          Time: 766

          JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').f('j.$("price").json <
          10').$('title').json = Sayings of the Century,Moby Dick
          Time: 531 Test 2JSONPath : $.store.book[(@.length-1)].title = The Lord
          of the Rings
          Time: 313

          JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[last()]/title = The Lord of the Rings
          Time: 500

          JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').f('j.last()').$('title').json =
          The Lord of the Rings
          Time: 297 Test 3JSONPath : $.store.book[0].title = Sayings of the
          Century
          Time: 171

          JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[0]/title = Sayings of the Century
          Time: 407

          JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').$(0).$('title').json = Sayings
          of the Century
          Time: 172