Re: JPath - xpath for json

  • kriszyp
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
      it already provides?
      http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/

      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "plexium_nerd" <plexium.nerd@...> wrote:

      > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
      > others might find it as useful as i did.
      >
      > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
      > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
      >
      > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
      > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > -bryan

    • plexium_nerd
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
        When I decided to make Jpath, no. It wasn't until afterwards when i
        found that library. However, they are still pretty different and each
        offer different features.

        JPath allows for actual XPath syntax (ie, /book/chapter[/@num=1] ),
        in addition to XPath-like syntax using the structure of javascript.

        myjpath.$('book/title').json;

        does the same as

        myjpath.query('book/title');

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "kriszyp" <kriszyp@...> wrote:

        > Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
        > it already provides?
        > http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/
        >

        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "plexium_nerd" <plexium.nerd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
        > > others might find it as useful as i did.
        > >
        > > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
        > > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
        > >
        > > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
        > > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > -bryan

      • Gustavo Munoz
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
          Have you run any benchmark between both libraries for some of the common
          features?

          On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:31 PM, plexium_nerd <plexium.nerd@...> wrote:

          > When I decided to make Jpath, no. It wasn't until afterwards when i
          > found that library. However, they are still pretty different and each
          > offer different features.
          >
          > JPath allows for actual XPath syntax (ie, /book/chapter[/@num=1] ),
          > in addition to XPath-like syntax using the structure of javascript.
          >
          > myjpath.$('book/title').json;
          >
          > does the same as
          >
          > myjpath.query('book/title');
          >

          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "kriszyp"
          > <kriszyp@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
          > > it already provides?
          > > http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/
          > >

          > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "plexium_nerd" <
          > plexium.nerd@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
          > > > others might find it as useful as i did.
          > > >
          > > > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
          > > > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
          > > >
          > > > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
          > > > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks!
          > > > -bryan

          Blog: http://justavo.blogsome.com/

        • plexium_nerd
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
            I'm not sure if this benchmark is useful or not but i threw together a
            set of three tests which just iterates over equivalent queries 1000
            times. Since there's two ways of querying in JPath, I used both to show
            the performance difference. The time represents milliseconds.

            Other than JPath's (xpath query), the two libraries are pretty evenly
            matched as far as speed goes.
            Test 1JSONPath : $.store.book[?(@.price < 10)].title = Sayings of the
            Century,Moby Dick
            Time: 468

            JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[price < 10]/title = Sayings of the
            Century,Moby Dick
            Time: 766

            JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').f('j.$("price").json <
            10').$('title').json = Sayings of the Century,Moby Dick
            Time: 531 Test 2JSONPath : $.store.book[(@.length-1)].title = The Lord
            of the Rings
            Time: 313

            JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[last()]/title = The Lord of the Rings
            Time: 500

            JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').f('j.last()').$('title').json =
            The Lord of the Rings
            Time: 297 Test 3JSONPath : $.store.book[0].title = Sayings of the
            Century
            Time: 171

            JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[0]/title = Sayings of the Century
            Time: 407

            JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').$(0).$('title').json = Sayings
            of the Century
            Time: 172