JPath - xpath for json

  • plexium_nerd
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 10:10 AM
      Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
      others might find it as useful as i did.

      http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
      <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>

      JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
      XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.

      Thanks!
      -bryan

    • kriszyp
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 1:30 PM
        Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
        it already provides?
        http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/

        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "plexium_nerd" <plexium.nerd@...> wrote:

        > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
        > others might find it as useful as i did.
        >
        > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
        > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
        >
        > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
        > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > -bryan

      • plexium_nerd
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 2:31 PM
          When I decided to make Jpath, no. It wasn't until afterwards when i
          found that library. However, they are still pretty different and each
          offer different features.

          JPath allows for actual XPath syntax (ie, /book/chapter[/@num=1] ),
          in addition to XPath-like syntax using the structure of javascript.

          myjpath.$('book/title').json;

          does the same as

          myjpath.query('book/title');

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "kriszyp" <kriszyp@...> wrote:

          > Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
          > it already provides?
          > http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/
          >

          > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "plexium_nerd" <plexium.nerd@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
          > > others might find it as useful as i did.
          > >
          > > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
          > > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
          > >
          > > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
          > > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > -bryan

        • Gustavo Munoz
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2 6:57 PM
            Have you run any benchmark between both libraries for some of the common
            features?

            On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:31 PM, plexium_nerd <plexium.nerd@...> wrote:

            > When I decided to make Jpath, no. It wasn't until afterwards when i
            > found that library. However, they are still pretty different and each
            > offer different features.
            >
            > JPath allows for actual XPath syntax (ie, /book/chapter[/@num=1] ),
            > in addition to XPath-like syntax using the structure of javascript.
            >
            > myjpath.$('book/title').json;
            >
            > does the same as
            >
            > myjpath.query('book/title');
            >

            > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "kriszyp"
            > <kriszyp@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Are you aware of JSONPath, and XPath-like functionality for JSON that
            > > it already provides?
            > > http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/
            > >

            > > --- In json@yahoogroups.com <json%40yahoogroups.com>, "plexium_nerd" <
            > plexium.nerd@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Howdy All, I'd just like to put my JPath library out there in case
            > > > others might find it as useful as i did.
            > > >
            > > > http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath
            > > > <http://bluelinecity.com/software/jpath>
            > > >
            > > > JPath is a simple lightweight Javascript Class which provides an
            > > > XPath-like querying ability to JSON objects.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks!
            > > > -bryan

            Blog: http://justavo.blogsome.com/

          • plexium_nerd
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3 8:07 PM
              I'm not sure if this benchmark is useful or not but i threw together a
              set of three tests which just iterates over equivalent queries 1000
              times. Since there's two ways of querying in JPath, I used both to show
              the performance difference. The time represents milliseconds.

              Other than JPath's (xpath query), the two libraries are pretty evenly
              matched as far as speed goes.
              Test 1JSONPath : $.store.book[?(@.price < 10)].title = Sayings of the
              Century,Moby Dick
              Time: 468

              JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[price < 10]/title = Sayings of the
              Century,Moby Dick
              Time: 766

              JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').f('j.$("price").json <
              10').$('title').json = Sayings of the Century,Moby Dick
              Time: 531 Test 2JSONPath : $.store.book[(@.length-1)].title = The Lord
              of the Rings
              Time: 313

              JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[last()]/title = The Lord of the Rings
              Time: 500

              JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').f('j.last()').$('title').json =
              The Lord of the Rings
              Time: 297 Test 3JSONPath : $.store.book[0].title = Sayings of the
              Century
              Time: 171

              JPath (xpath query) : /store/book[0]/title = Sayings of the Century
              Time: 407

              JPath (js query) : $('store').$('book').$(0).$('title').json = Sayings
              of the Century
              Time: 172