Re: json_parse.js

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27 6:14 AM
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Jorge Chamorro <jorge@...> wrote:

      > Line 170 is an enigma :
      >
      > (var) value, // Place holder for the value function.
      >
      > As (var) value = f() is defined later on @line 230... does 170 really
      > make any difference ?

      As a matter of discipline, I always declare things before I use them.

      > Also, I wonder why did you "feel the need" to rewrite the parser
      > without RegExps ?

      Some people are distrustful of regular expressions. An implementation
      that does not use regular expressions may be more easily ported to
      other languages.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27 10:46 AM
        On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Jorge Chamorro <jorge@...> wrote:
        > Also, I wonder why did you "feel the need" to rewrite the parser
        > without RegExps ?
        > This one should run (much?) slower, I mean, vs the native speed of
        > RegExps, or not ?
        > Why/when would you choose one version over the other ?

        You may well be right that a regexp based one is faster (given JS'
        lack of efficient string/char manipulation methods), but performance
        is one area where intuition often leads astray. One should not try to
        guess which is faster, but to measure.
        So it would be great to get a performance test to verify which is
        faster (and on which JS engines) and by how much.