json2.js

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 24, 2008
      I have updated json2.js to include a prettyprinting option. If the
      third parameter is a string (such as "\t" or " ") or a number of
      spaces, then nested structures will be broken into lines with indentation.

      See http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 27, 2008
        The json2 methods take optional functions that can make
        transformations on the JSON structures.

        For example, suppose you want to represent dates as strings in the form

        "Date(09/09/2001)"

        Pass a replacer function to the stringify method:

        text = JSON.stringify([new Date()], function (key, value) {
        return this[key] instanceof Date ?
        'Date(' + this[key] + ')' : value;
        });

        Pass a reviver function to the parse method:

        data = JSON.parse('["Date(09/09/2001)"]', function (key, value) {
        var d;
        if (typeof value === 'string' &&
        value.slice(0, 5) === 'Date(' &&
        value.slice(-1) === ')') {
        d = new Date(value.slice(5, -1));
        if (d) {
        return d;
        return value;
        });
        Message 3 of 15 , May 25, 2008
          I have modified one of the regular expressions in the JSON.parse
          method to more reliably signal a syntax error in the case of a
          malformed \uHHHH string. No security exploit existed or was repaired
          by this change.

          http://json.org/json2.js
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9 1:10 PM
            I added toJSON methods to Boolean, Number, and String. This makes
            simple type wrappers work correctly, so

            JSON.stringify(new String('string'))

            produce "string". If you don't use the type wrappers (and it is best
            that you don't) then you can delete those methods.
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
              I modified json2.js slightly to coexist more easily with native JSON
              libraries.

              http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
            • Lucas Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                Doug,

                Can you elaborate on the changes? Do you maintain the source in a
                VCS, or is it the responsibility of consumers to store copies locally
                to see diffs?

                Luke

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
                  --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Lucas Smith <lsmith@...> wrote:
                  > Can you elaborate on the changes?

                  A JSON object is created if one doesn't exist.

                  If the object does not have a stringify method, one is added.

                  If the object does not have a parse method, one is added.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                    I changed the stringify method's array test from

                    if (typeof value.length === 'number' &&
                    !value.propertyIsEnumerable('length')) {

                    to the more reliable Miller device

                    if (Object.prototype.toString.apply(value) === '[object Array]') {

                    See http://blog.360.yahoo.com/douglascrockford?p=916
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 18, 2010
                      json2.js is now available on Github.

                      https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js