jabsorb 1.2.2 released

  • Arthur Blake
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2008
      I'm very pleased to announce the release of jabsorb 1.2.2.

      jabsorb is a simple and lightweight (yet quite powerful) Ajax/Web
      2.0framework that allows you to call methods in a Java web application
      from
      JavaScript code running in a web browser as if they were local objects
      residing directly in the browser.

      The most important feature in the jabsorb 1.2.x release line is an extension
      to the JSON-RPC protocol that allows passing of data structures with
      circular and duplicate references.

      With jabsorb 1.2.2 the json-rpc-client project has been combined with
      jabsorb to include an additional Java client to the jabsorb server. Special
      thanks to Sasha Ovanskin for this immensely useful contribution.

      Additionally, the jabsorb team has recently rolled out a whole new web site,
      wiki and infrastructure at http://jabsorb.org

      To download this release, visit http://jabsorb.org/Download
      For general information on jabsorb, visit http://jabsorb.org
      For discussion, questions or comments, visit
      http://groups.google.com/group/jabsorb-user

      Cheers!
      Arthur Blake

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2008
        On Jan 16, 2008 4:19 PM, Arthur Blake <arthur.blake@...> wrote:

        > I'm very pleased to announce the release of jabsorb 1.2.2.
        >
        > jabsorb is a simple and lightweight (yet quite powerful) Ajax/Web
        > 2.0framework that allows you to call methods in a Java web application
        > from
        > JavaScript code running in a web browser as if they were local objects
        > residing directly in the browser.

        That sounds a lot like DWR. Can you provide a brief comparison?

        The most important feature in the jabsorb 1.2.x release line is an extension
        > to the JSON-RPC protocol that allows passing of data structures with
        > circular and duplicate references.
        >
        > With jabsorb 1.2.2 the json-rpc-client project has been combined with
        > jabsorb to include an additional Java client to the jabsorb server.
        > Special
        > thanks to Sasha Ovanskin for this immensely useful contribution.
        >
        > Additionally, the jabsorb team has recently rolled out a whole new web
        > site,
        > wiki and infrastructure at http://jabsorb.org
        >
        > To download this release, visit http://jabsorb.org/Download
        > For general information on jabsorb, visit http://jabsorb.org
        > For discussion, questions or comments, visit
        > http://groups.google.com/group/jabsorb-user
        >
        > Cheers!
        > Arthur Blake

      • Arthur Blake
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2008

          > On Jan 16, 2008 11:07 PM, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:
          > On Jan 16, 2008 4:19 PM, Arthur Blake <arthur.blake@...<arthur.blake%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I'm very pleased to announce the release of jabsorb 1.2.2.
          > >
          > > jabsorb is a simple and lightweight (yet quite powerful) Ajax/Web
          > > 2.0framework that allows you to call methods in a Java web application
          > > from
          > > JavaScript code running in a web browser as if they were local objects
          > > residing directly in the browser.
          >
          > That sounds a lot like DWR. Can you provide a brief comparison?
          >
          > --
          > Martin Cooper

          I'm not a DWR expert, but from what I understand, both libraries fulfill the
          same basic purposes.

          The main difference that I've always touted is:

          jabsorb is based on JSON-RPC standard (although with new circular references
          support, standard JSON-RPC is extended)
          DWR uses it's own inherent protocol, but new JSON features are being added.
          DWR also has some built in support for reverse ajax. This can be done with
          jabsorb too, but it's not as integrated like it is with DWR.
          DWR appears to have a larger code base and more bells and whistles, while
          jabsorb is a bit lighter and simpler.

          So it appears that the libraries are currently converging in their feature
          sets, somewhat.

          Both jabsorb and DWR have been been around for quite awhile. jabsorb was
          formerly known as JSON-RPC-Java. (It was originally forked off of
          JSON-RPC-Java, but then the parent project joined jabsorb to form a unified
          project, yet retaining the jabsorb name.)

          It would be nice to hear some pros and cons from anyone who has used both
          libraries extensively.