RE: [json] json2.js

  • Atif Aziz
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 24, 2007
      Are there any plans to publish a set of unit tests in JavaScript that exercise json.js/json2.js?

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 22, 2008
        I have updated json2.js, adding features suggested by Mark Miller and
        Chris Zyp.

        JSON.parse can take a reviver function that is passed each key and
        value, with this bound to the object containing the key.

        JSON.stringify can take a replacer function which similarly is passed
        each key and value, with this bound to the object containing the key.
        The replacer, like the toJSON method, gives more control over the
        serialization.

        http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 24, 2008
          I have updated json2.js to include a prettyprinting option. If the
          third parameter is a string (such as "\t" or " ") or a number of
          spaces, then nested structures will be broken into lines with indentation.

          See http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 27 6:54 AM
            The json2 methods take optional functions that can make
            transformations on the JSON structures.

            For example, suppose you want to represent dates as strings in the form

            "Date(09/09/2001)"

            Pass a replacer function to the stringify method:

            text = JSON.stringify([new Date()], function (key, value) {
            return this[key] instanceof Date ?
            'Date(' + this[key] + ')' : value;
            });

            Pass a reviver function to the parse method:

            data = JSON.parse('["Date(09/09/2001)"]', function (key, value) {
            var d;
            if (typeof value === 'string' &&
            value.slice(0, 5) === 'Date(' &&
            value.slice(-1) === ')') {
            d = new Date(value.slice(5, -1));
            if (d) {
            return d;
            return value;
            });
            Message 5 of 15 , May 25, 2008
              I have modified one of the regular expressions in the JSON.parse
              method to more reliably signal a syntax error in the case of a
              malformed \uHHHH string. No security exploit existed or was repaired
              by this change.

              http://json.org/json2.js
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                I added toJSON methods to Boolean, Number, and String. This makes
                simple type wrappers work correctly, so

                JSON.stringify(new String('string'))

                produce "string". If you don't use the type wrappers (and it is best
                that you don't) then you can delete those methods.
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                  I modified json2.js slightly to coexist more easily with native JSON
                  libraries.

                  http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
                • Lucas Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                    Doug,

                    Can you elaborate on the changes? Do you maintain the source in a
                    VCS, or is it the responsibility of consumers to store copies locally
                    to see diffs?

                    Luke

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
                      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Lucas Smith <lsmith@...> wrote:
                      > Can you elaborate on the changes?

                      A JSON object is created if one doesn't exist.

                      If the object does not have a stringify method, one is added.

                      If the object does not have a parse method, one is added.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                        I changed the stringify method's array test from

                        if (typeof value.length === 'number' &&
                        !value.propertyIsEnumerable('length')) {

                        to the more reliable Miller device

                        if (Object.prototype.toString.apply(value) === '[object Array]') {

                        See http://blog.360.yahoo.com/douglascrockford?p=916
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 18, 2010
                          json2.js is now available on Github.

                          https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js