Re: [json] Re: json2.js

  • Gustavo Munoz
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2007
      Great job, Douglas.

      There is a typo in the initial multiline comment at line 57, it says
      JON.parse

      --
      Blog: http://justavo.blogsome.com/

    • Atif Aziz
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 24, 2007
        Are there any plans to publish a set of unit tests in JavaScript that exercise json.js/json2.js?

        The original version of json.js had a JSON object containing stringify
        and parse methods. When the opportunity to add JSON support to the
        next proposed standard for ECMAScript, the methods changed to toString
        and parseJSON.

        In retrospect, I think the original form was better. I have posted
        json2.js which has JSON.stringify (which looks for the presence of a

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 22, 2008
          I have updated json2.js, adding features suggested by Mark Miller and
          Chris Zyp.

          JSON.parse can take a reviver function that is passed each key and
          value, with this bound to the object containing the key.

          JSON.stringify can take a replacer function which similarly is passed
          each key and value, with this bound to the object containing the key.
          The replacer, like the toJSON method, gives more control over the
          serialization.

          http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 24, 2008
            I have updated json2.js to include a prettyprinting option. If the
            third parameter is a string (such as "\t" or " ") or a number of
            spaces, then nested structures will be broken into lines with indentation.

            See http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 27 6:54 AM
              The json2 methods take optional functions that can make
              transformations on the JSON structures.

              For example, suppose you want to represent dates as strings in the form

              "Date(09/09/2001)"

              Pass a replacer function to the stringify method:

              text = JSON.stringify([new Date()], function (key, value) {
              return this[key] instanceof Date ?
              'Date(' + this[key] + ')' : value;
              });

              Pass a reviver function to the parse method:

              data = JSON.parse('["Date(09/09/2001)"]', function (key, value) {
              var d;
              if (typeof value === 'string' &&
              value.slice(0, 5) === 'Date(' &&
              value.slice(-1) === ')') {
              d = new Date(value.slice(5, -1));
              if (d) {
              return d;
              return value;
              });
              Message 6 of 15 , May 25, 2008
                I have modified one of the regular expressions in the JSON.parse
                method to more reliably signal a syntax error in the case of a
                malformed \uHHHH string. No security exploit existed or was repaired
                by this change.

                http://json.org/json2.js
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                  I added toJSON methods to Boolean, Number, and String. This makes
                  simple type wrappers work correctly, so

                  JSON.stringify(new String('string'))

                  produce "string". If you don't use the type wrappers (and it is best
                  that you don't) then you can delete those methods.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                    I modified json2.js slightly to coexist more easily with native JSON
                    libraries.

                    http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
                  • Lucas Smith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                      Doug,

                      Can you elaborate on the changes? Do you maintain the source in a
                      VCS, or is it the responsibility of consumers to store copies locally
                      to see diffs?

                      Luke

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
                        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Lucas Smith <lsmith@...> wrote:
                        > Can you elaborate on the changes?

                        A JSON object is created if one doesn't exist.

                        If the object does not have a stringify method, one is added.

                        If the object does not have a parse method, one is added.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                          I changed the stringify method's array test from

                          if (typeof value.length === 'number' &&
                          !value.propertyIsEnumerable('length')) {

                          to the more reliable Miller device

                          if (Object.prototype.toString.apply(value) === '[object Array]') {

                          See http://blog.360.yahoo.com/douglascrockford?p=916
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 18, 2010
                            json2.js is now available on Github.

                            https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js