Re: json2.js

  • Ric Johnson
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 30, 2007
      Thank you for implmenting this. this make the code so much cleaner.

      Now if we can just get the Prototype library to stop overloading
      Object....

      > The original version of json.js had a JSON object containing
      stringify
      > and parse methods. When the opportunity to add JSON support to the
      > next proposed standard for ECMAScript, the methods changed to
      toString
      > and parseJSON.
      >
      > In retrospect, I think the original form was better. I have posted
      > json2.js which has JSON.stringify (which looks for the presence of
      > toJSON method in the objects it stringifies), and JSON.parse (which
      > can still accept a filter function).
      >
      > http://www.JSON.org/json2.js

    • Gustavo Munoz
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 31, 2007
        Great job, Douglas.

        There is a typo in the initial multiline comment at line 57, it says
        JON.parse

        --
        Blog: http://justavo.blogsome.com/

      • Atif Aziz
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 24, 2007
          Are there any plans to publish a set of unit tests in JavaScript that exercise json.js/json2.js?

          The original version of json.js had a JSON object containing stringify
          and parse methods. When the opportunity to add JSON support to the
          next proposed standard for ECMAScript, the methods changed to toString
          and parseJSON.

          In retrospect, I think the original form was better. I have posted
          json2.js which has JSON.stringify (which looks for the presence of a

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 22, 2008
            I have updated json2.js, adding features suggested by Mark Miller and
            Chris Zyp.

            JSON.parse can take a reviver function that is passed each key and
            value, with this bound to the object containing the key.

            JSON.stringify can take a replacer function which similarly is passed
            each key and value, with this bound to the object containing the key.
            The replacer, like the toJSON method, gives more control over the
            serialization.

            http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 24, 2008
              I have updated json2.js to include a prettyprinting option. If the
              third parameter is a string (such as "\t" or " ") or a number of
              spaces, then nested structures will be broken into lines with indentation.

              See http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 27, 2008
                The json2 methods take optional functions that can make
                transformations on the JSON structures.

                For example, suppose you want to represent dates as strings in the form

                "Date(09/09/2001)"

                Pass a replacer function to the stringify method:

                text = JSON.stringify([new Date()], function (key, value) {
                return this[key] instanceof Date ?
                'Date(' + this[key] + ')' : value;
                });

                Pass a reviver function to the parse method:

                data = JSON.parse('["Date(09/09/2001)"]', function (key, value) {
                var d;
                if (typeof value === 'string' &&
                value.slice(0, 5) === 'Date(' &&
                value.slice(-1) === ')') {
                d = new Date(value.slice(5, -1));
                if (d) {
                return d;
                return value;
                });
                Message 7 of 15 , May 25, 2008
                  I have modified one of the regular expressions in the JSON.parse
                  method to more reliably signal a syntax error in the case of a
                  malformed \uHHHH string. No security exploit existed or was repaired
                  by this change.

                  http://json.org/json2.js
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                    I added toJSON methods to Boolean, Number, and String. This makes
                    simple type wrappers work correctly, so

                    JSON.stringify(new String('string'))

                    produce "string". If you don't use the type wrappers (and it is best
                    that you don't) then you can delete those methods.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                      I modified json2.js slightly to coexist more easily with native JSON
                      libraries.

                      http://www.JSON.org/json2.js
                    • Lucas Smith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
                        Doug,

                        Can you elaborate on the changes? Do you maintain the source in a
                        VCS, or is it the responsibility of consumers to store copies locally
                        to see diffs?

                        Luke

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2008
                          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Lucas Smith <lsmith@...> wrote:
                          > Can you elaborate on the changes?

                          A JSON object is created if one doesn't exist.

                          If the object does not have a stringify method, one is added.

                          If the object does not have a parse method, one is added.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 19, 2008
                            I changed the stringify method's array test from

                            if (typeof value.length === 'number' &&
                            !value.propertyIsEnumerable('length')) {

                            to the more reliable Miller device

                            if (Object.prototype.toString.apply(value) === '[object Array]') {

                            See http://blog.360.yahoo.com/douglascrockford?p=916
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 18, 2010
                              json2.js is now available on Github.

                              https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js