Re: [json] Re: Comments

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 19 10:11 PM
      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "patrickdlogan" <patrickdlogan@s...> wrote:
      > > > Comments are being removed from JSON.
      > >
      > > Good enough. I'll take the code out of json-py soon.
      >
      > If you like. There is no harm in leaving it in. The current Java
      > decoder recognizes comments in the slashslash, slashstar, and hash
      > forms. I am leaving it in because there is no need to take it out, and
      > it might be useful.

      I would think that the fact that a parse is successful no longer means
      that the input was valid JSON would be a pretty good reason to take it
      out...

    • Peter Ring
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2006
        Funny thing is, YAML was designed for human consumption as much as a
        language-neutral serializing format. And JSON's ancestry (JavaScript) is
        more in the LISP camp than the C camp [1], i.e., designed for expressive
        power rather than bit-munging.

        Programmers spend half their time looking at code. Ergonomics matter.

        If line speed is a premium, why allow insignificant whitespace at all?

        If line speed was a premium (and human consumption irrelevant), I'd be
        using ASN.1 anyway; it is well established in the telecom world, and
        there are tons of software and utilities that will help you with the
        dirty details.

        Think of comments as something that belong to a separate namespace. The
        JSON parser should have no other business with comments than ignoring
        them. If ECMAScript syntax for comments is too loose for easy parsing,
        restrict it.

        The alternative is an informal standard for comment properties that in
        effect turns me into a carbon-based compiler and requires applications
        to share a notation for comments anyway.

        [1] http://www.crockford.com/javascript/little.html

        Kind regards
        Peter Ring