Re: [json] Re: JSONRequest

  • John David Duncan
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007

      >> I'm interested in implementing the server side of JSONRequest, and
      >> I'm a bit confused by the JSONRequest.get description in the
      >> proposal.
      >
      > The current proposal can be found at http://json.org/JSONRequest.html

      Yep, that's the one I'm referring to. Is the "JSONRequest" header
      supposed to be there, in this response?

      HTTP/1.1 200 OK
      JSONRequest: 6

      JD
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, John David Duncan <john.david.duncan@...>
        wrote:
        > Is the "JSONRequest" header
        > supposed to be there, in this response?
        >

        > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        > JSONRequest: 6

        I see what you mean. No, that isn't supposed to be there.
        I have corrected it. Thank you.
      • John David Duncan
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 10, 2007
          On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

          >> Is the "JSONRequest" header
          >> supposed to be there, in this response?
          > I see what you mean. No, that isn't supposed to be there.
          > I have corrected it. Thank you.

          Thanks! I have one more thought about the proposal.

          The Firefox plugin chooses to send an "Accept: application/
          jsonrequest" header with the request, and I agree with this idea.
          The proposal says that if the request is application/jsonrequest,
          then the response must also be application/jsonrequest; the Accept
          header spells out this requirement plainly in HTTP. In my opinion,
          the header should be mandatory.

          JD
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 11, 2007
            wrote:

            > The Firefox plugin chooses to send an "Accept: application/
            > jsonrequest" header with the request, and I agree with this idea.
            > The proposal says that if the request is application/jsonrequest,
            > then the response must also be application/jsonrequest; the Accept
            > header spells out this requirement plainly in HTTP. In my opinion,
            > the header should be mandatory.

            You're right.
          • Michael Schwarz
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
              Hi,

              one thing I didn't get a answer yet about security: I expect that NTLM is
              not working with JSONRequest, too, is that correct?

              Some other questions while implementing a client plugin: must there be a
              maximum timeout value? I think that it makes no sence to run requests longer
              than 10 seconds. What about the user-agent string, will this be sent or not?
              Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?

              And one last question: does the JSON server need to support HTTP 1.0, or is
              it mandatory to support HTTP 1.1 only?

              Michael

              --
              Best regards | Schöne Grüße
              Michael

              http://weblogs.asp.net/mschwarz/
              http://www.ajaxpro.info/

              Skype: callto:schwarz-interactive
              MSN IM: passport@...

            • collin_jackson
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
                --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwarz" <michael.schwarz@...>
                wrote:
                > Some other questions while implementing a client plugin:

                Can you tell us which platform you are developing a client plugin for?

                > Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?

                The browser's security policy isn't granular enough to separate URIs
                into separate security contexts, so it would be easy for a site to
                spoof any URI within the page's a given domain by injecting script
                tags into other pages. Also, in Firefox (for example) there are many
                scenarios where a page has URI that does not specify a domain
                (about:blank, or a javascript: URI) yet the page does have a domain
                according to the browser.

                To make this header match the browser's security policy, it would be
                possible to set a header of the form scheme://domain:port (with no
                path included), but I'm not sure whether this is necessary.
              • Michael Schwarz
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
                  Hi,

                  On 10/14/07, collin_jackson <yahoo@...> wrote:
                  > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwarz" <michael.schwarz@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Some other questions while implementing a client plugin:
                  >
                  > Can you tell us which platform you are developing a client plugin for?

                  I write one for Mac and Windows, well, it is not a real plugin, but a
                  way to integrate it in you web pages.

                  > > Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?
                  >
                  > The browser's security policy isn't granular enough to separate URIs
                  > into separate security contexts, so it would be easy for a site to
                  > spoof any URI within the page's a given domain by injecting script
                  > tags into other pages. Also, in Firefox (for example) there are many
                  > scenarios where a page has URI that does not specify a domain
                  > (about:blank, or a javascript: URI) yet the page does have a domain
                  > according to the browser.

                  What I thought was pages like aol.com/users/xxxx or
                  t-online.de/home/xxxx. Where is the "domain" specified, I thought it
                  will use the Web browsers location always, which in my mind is not
                  speficic enough.

                  Michael

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 13, 2009
                    I have updated the JSONRequest proposal, removing the Origin feature.
                    I have been persuaded that it can encourage bad practice.

                    http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
                  • pigwin32
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 16, 2009

                      > I am proposing a new mechanism for doing data transport in Ajax/Comet
                      > applications. It is called JSONRequest. It is a minimal communications
                      > facility that can be exempted from the Same Origin Policy.
                      >
                      > You can read about it here: http://json.org/JSONRequest.html

                      This question may have been asked previously but a quick search didn't
                      turn up anything. Why does JSONRequest only support GET/POST and
                      propose a new CANCEL request? What of PUT and DELETE? I can see how
                      JSONRequest would be extremely useful for RESTful web services and I'm
                      curious as to why you are proposing yet another protocol on top of
                      HTTP when HTTP already provides the necessary verbs and
                      exceptions/error codes. Wouldn't it be expedient to work within the
                      existing HTTP specification? My apologies if this has already been
                      addressed, I've arrived a little bit late to the discussion.

                      - Dave
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 16, 2009
                        On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:10 AM, pigwin32 <pigwin32@...> wrote:
                        > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I am proposing a new mechanism for doing data transport in Ajax/Comet
                        >> applications. It is called JSONRequest. It is a minimal communications
                        >> facility that can be exempted from the Same Origin Policy.
                        >>
                        >> You can read about it here: http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
                        >>

                        > This question may have been asked previously but a quick search didn't
                        > turn up anything. Why does JSONRequest only support GET/POST and
                        > propose a new CANCEL request? What of PUT and DELETE? I can see how
                        > JSONRequest would be extremely useful for RESTful web services and I'm
                        > curious as to why you are proposing yet another protocol on top of
                        > HTTP when HTTP already provides the necessary verbs and
                        > exceptions/error codes. Wouldn't it be expedient to work within the
                        > existing HTTP specification? My apologies if this has already been
                        > addressed, I've arrived a little bit late to the discussion.

                        I am not a REST expert, but isn't PUT used to store given payload (in
                        this case, request in form of Json), and DELETE just ignore payload?
                        Meaning that such operations via JSONRequest wouldn't make much sense;
                        after all, you can call PUT with appropriate content type anyway, and
                        DELETE wouldn't require one.

                        That is: what would be useful semantics for such operations? (same
                        could be asked of GET -- but I assume that's for manual testing via
                        browser)

                        I guess case could be made that for completeness sake these verbs
                        should be supported.

                        -+ Tatu +-
                      • Fang Yidong
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 19, 2009
                          Hello Tatu,

                          While I was googling JSON.simple usage, I occasionally find JsonSimpleDriver.java in svn of codehaus, and the benchmark results, comparing with Jackson and other libraries. I think that it's your work?

                          The throughput of Jackson is high definitely and I really think Jackson is an excellent StAX JSON parser.

                          I am writing to you because I'd like to share some of my opinions on the testing itself. I know that you haven't pulished the results yet, here's just some discussions.

                          Here's my opinions:
                          1. I think different libraries accept different inputs, such as a byte array, a string, a inputstream or a reader, so the preparation of such input objects should be prepared in the warm up stage, not the running.

                          2. I think the iteration of the resulting graph is not a part of the parser and should not be put in the run method, but some minor operations can be performed to verified that the result is a correct one.

                          3. Could you also help to test the SAX-like interface of JSON.simple in the way of JacksonDriverStreaming.java did?

                          I think your work will definitely help to improve the qualities of all JSON libraries.

                          Thanks.

                          Yidong Fang

                        • Fang Yidong

                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 19, 2009
                              On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:
                              > Hello Tatu,
                              >
                              > While I was googling JSON.simple usage, I occasionally find JsonSimpleDriver.java in svn of codehaus, and the benchmark results, comparing with Jackson and other libraries. I think that it's your work?

                              Hi there! Yes, that is true.

                              > The throughput of Jackson is high definitely and I really think Jackson is an excellent StAX JSON parser.
                              >
                              > I am writing to you because I'd like to share some of my opinions on the testing itself. I know that you haven't pulished the results yet, here's just some discussions.

                              Sure, thank you for your input. I hadn't yet published it, but it is
                              of course public from the blog.

                              > Here's my opinions:
                              > 1. I think different libraries accept different inputs, such as a byte array, a string, a inputstream or a reader, so the preparation of such input objects should be prepared in the warm up stage, not the running.

                              Hmmh. I don't think I fully agree, but I agree in that it depends on use case.

                              For me, the use case is always getting Json from an external source
                              (network request, from file system), and hence input is naturally a
                              stream of bytes. So if a library just takes a String, it must be
                              constructed from bytes.
                              I did give shortcuts for some parsers so that there was no need to
                              read from the stream, so in a way some parsers benefited from the
                              setup (from my perspective).

                              It is possible that other use cases could be ones where a String would
                              be needed anyway (like perhaps reading it from a DB), but for me this
                              is not the case.

                              > 2. I think the iteration of the resulting graph is not a part of the parser and should not be put in the run method, but some minor operations can be performed to verified that the result is a correct one.

                              I think needs to be, because otherwise you can not do anything of use;
                              and parsers could optimize away some processing.
                              I don't think results would differ a lot though, most parsers do
                              handle all the data independent of traversal. I can probably make this
                              configurable to see what the difference is.

                              > 3. Could you also help to test the SAX-like interface of JSON.simple in the way of JacksonDriverStreaming.java did?

                              Ah yes. Apologies for not trying it out -- I forgot that json.simple
                              does in fact have a streaming interface. I can add that, and make it
                              the main interface.

                              > I think your work will definitely help to improve the qualities of all JSON libraries.

                              Thank you, and thanks for feedback!

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 20, 2009
                                On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:
                                > Sorry this message is intended to send to Tatu only. My bad.
                                > Since the result is not published yet, let's discuss it privately.

                                (took the discussion offline, but if anyone is interested in what
                                results we are discussing, those are at:

                                http://www.cowtowncoder.com/blog/archives/2009/02/entry_204.html

                                I will be making some updates; and if any owners of other packages
                                have suggestions, let me know as well. Benchmarks are hard to do well
                                with different use cases and emphasis, so at least I want to document
                                presumptions and biases.