JSONRequest

  • John David Duncan
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm interested in implementing the server side of JSONRequest, and
      I'm a bit confused by the JSONRequest.get description in the proposal.

      The sample server response says:

      HTTP/1.1 200 OK
      JSONRequest: 6

      What is the "JSONRequest: 6" header? Is 6 the request serial number?
      (and if so, how did the server get the serial number from the client?)

      Thanks,

      JD
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007
        --- In json@yahoogroups.com, John David Duncan <john.david.duncan@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm interested in implementing the server side of JSONRequest, and
        > I'm a bit confused by the JSONRequest.get description in the proposal.

        The current proposal can be found at http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
      • John David Duncan
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007

          >> I'm interested in implementing the server side of JSONRequest, and
          >> I'm a bit confused by the JSONRequest.get description in the
          >> proposal.
          >
          > The current proposal can be found at http://json.org/JSONRequest.html

          Yep, that's the one I'm referring to. Is the "JSONRequest" header
          supposed to be there, in this response?

          HTTP/1.1 200 OK
          JSONRequest: 6

          JD
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 22, 2007
            wrote:
            > Is the "JSONRequest" header
            > supposed to be there, in this response?
            >

            > HTTP/1.1 200 OK
            > JSONRequest: 6

            I see what you mean. No, that isn't supposed to be there.
            I have corrected it. Thank you.
          • John David Duncan
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 10, 2007
              On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

              >> Is the "JSONRequest" header
              >> supposed to be there, in this response?
              > I see what you mean. No, that isn't supposed to be there.
              > I have corrected it. Thank you.

              Thanks! I have one more thought about the proposal.

              The Firefox plugin chooses to send an "Accept: application/
              jsonrequest" header with the request, and I agree with this idea.
              The proposal says that if the request is application/jsonrequest,
              then the response must also be application/jsonrequest; the Accept
              header spells out this requirement plainly in HTTP. In my opinion,
              the header should be mandatory.

              JD
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 11, 2007
                wrote:

                > The Firefox plugin chooses to send an "Accept: application/
                > jsonrequest" header with the request, and I agree with this idea.
                > The proposal says that if the request is application/jsonrequest,
                > then the response must also be application/jsonrequest; the Accept
                > header spells out this requirement plainly in HTTP. In my opinion,
                > the header should be mandatory.

                You're right.
              • Michael Schwarz
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
                  Hi,

                  one thing I didn't get a answer yet about security: I expect that NTLM is
                  not working with JSONRequest, too, is that correct?

                  Some other questions while implementing a client plugin: must there be a
                  maximum timeout value? I think that it makes no sence to run requests longer
                  than 10 seconds. What about the user-agent string, will this be sent or not?
                  Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?

                  And one last question: does the JSON server need to support HTTP 1.0, or is
                  it mandatory to support HTTP 1.1 only?

                  Michael

                  --
                  Best regards | Schöne Grüße
                  Michael

                  http://weblogs.asp.net/mschwarz/
                  http://www.ajaxpro.info/

                  Skype: callto:schwarz-interactive
                  MSN IM: passport@...

                • collin_jackson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
                    --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwarz" <michael.schwarz@...>
                    wrote:
                    > Some other questions while implementing a client plugin:

                    Can you tell us which platform you are developing a client plugin for?

                    > Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?

                    The browser's security policy isn't granular enough to separate URIs
                    into separate security contexts, so it would be easy for a site to
                    spoof any URI within the page's a given domain by injecting script
                    tags into other pages. Also, in Firefox (for example) there are many
                    scenarios where a page has URI that does not specify a domain
                    (about:blank, or a javascript: URI) yet the page does have a domain
                    according to the browser.

                    To make this header match the browser's security policy, it would be
                    possible to set a header of the form scheme://domain:port (with no
                    path included), but I'm not sure whether this is necessary.
                  • Michael Schwarz
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 14, 2007
                      Hi,

                      On 10/14/07, collin_jackson <yahoo@...> wrote:
                      > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwarz" <michael.schwarz@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Some other questions while implementing a client plugin:
                      >
                      > Can you tell us which platform you are developing a client plugin for?

                      I write one for Mac and Windows, well, it is not a real plugin, but a
                      way to integrate it in you web pages.

                      > > Why only send the domain, doesn't the complete Uri makes sence?
                      >
                      > The browser's security policy isn't granular enough to separate URIs
                      > into separate security contexts, so it would be easy for a site to
                      > spoof any URI within the page's a given domain by injecting script
                      > tags into other pages. Also, in Firefox (for example) there are many
                      > scenarios where a page has URI that does not specify a domain
                      > (about:blank, or a javascript: URI) yet the page does have a domain
                      > according to the browser.

                      What I thought was pages like aol.com/users/xxxx or
                      t-online.de/home/xxxx. Where is the "domain" specified, I thought it
                      will use the Web browsers location always, which in my mind is not
                      speficic enough.

                      Michael

                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 13, 2009
                        I have updated the JSONRequest proposal, removing the Origin feature.
                        I have been persuaded that it can encourage bad practice.

                        http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
                      • pigwin32
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 16, 2009

                          > I am proposing a new mechanism for doing data transport in Ajax/Comet
                          > applications. It is called JSONRequest. It is a minimal communications
                          > facility that can be exempted from the Same Origin Policy.
                          >
                          > You can read about it here: http://json.org/JSONRequest.html

                          This question may have been asked previously but a quick search didn't
                          turn up anything. Why does JSONRequest only support GET/POST and
                          propose a new CANCEL request? What of PUT and DELETE? I can see how
                          JSONRequest would be extremely useful for RESTful web services and I'm
                          curious as to why you are proposing yet another protocol on top of
                          HTTP when HTTP already provides the necessary verbs and
                          exceptions/error codes. Wouldn't it be expedient to work within the
                          existing HTTP specification? My apologies if this has already been
                          addressed, I've arrived a little bit late to the discussion.

                          - Dave
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 16, 2009
                            On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:10 AM, pigwin32 <pigwin32@...> wrote:
                            > --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I am proposing a new mechanism for doing data transport in Ajax/Comet
                            >> applications. It is called JSONRequest. It is a minimal communications
                            >> facility that can be exempted from the Same Origin Policy.
                            >>
                            >> You can read about it here: http://json.org/JSONRequest.html
                            >>

                            > This question may have been asked previously but a quick search didn't
                            > turn up anything. Why does JSONRequest only support GET/POST and
                            > propose a new CANCEL request? What of PUT and DELETE? I can see how
                            > JSONRequest would be extremely useful for RESTful web services and I'm
                            > curious as to why you are proposing yet another protocol on top of
                            > HTTP when HTTP already provides the necessary verbs and
                            > exceptions/error codes. Wouldn't it be expedient to work within the
                            > existing HTTP specification? My apologies if this has already been
                            > addressed, I've arrived a little bit late to the discussion.

                            I am not a REST expert, but isn't PUT used to store given payload (in
                            this case, request in form of Json), and DELETE just ignore payload?
                            Meaning that such operations via JSONRequest wouldn't make much sense;
                            after all, you can call PUT with appropriate content type anyway, and
                            DELETE wouldn't require one.

                            That is: what would be useful semantics for such operations? (same
                            could be asked of GET -- but I assume that's for manual testing via
                            browser)

                            I guess case could be made that for completeness sake these verbs
                            should be supported.

                            -+ Tatu +-
                          • Fang Yidong
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 19, 2009
                              Hello Tatu,

                              While I was googling JSON.simple usage, I occasionally find JsonSimpleDriver.java in svn of codehaus, and the benchmark results, comparing with Jackson and other libraries. I think that it's your work?

                              The throughput of Jackson is high definitely and I really think Jackson is an excellent StAX JSON parser.

                              I am writing to you because I'd like to share some of my opinions on the testing itself. I know that you haven't pulished the results yet, here's just some discussions.

                              Here's my opinions:
                              1. I think different libraries accept different inputs, such as a byte array, a string, a inputstream or a reader, so the preparation of such input objects should be prepared in the warm up stage, not the running.

                              2. I think the iteration of the resulting graph is not a part of the parser and should not be put in the run method, but some minor operations can be performed to verified that the result is a correct one.

                              3. Could you also help to test the SAX-like interface of JSON.simple in the way of JacksonDriverStreaming.java did?

                              I think your work will definitely help to improve the qualities of all JSON libraries.

                              Thanks.

                              Yidong Fang

                            • Fang Yidong

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 19, 2009
                                  On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:
                                  > Hello Tatu,
                                  >
                                  > While I was googling JSON.simple usage, I occasionally find JsonSimpleDriver.java in svn of codehaus, and the benchmark results, comparing with Jackson and other libraries. I think that it's your work?

                                  Hi there! Yes, that is true.

                                  > The throughput of Jackson is high definitely and I really think Jackson is an excellent StAX JSON parser.
                                  >
                                  > I am writing to you because I'd like to share some of my opinions on the testing itself. I know that you haven't pulished the results yet, here's just some discussions.

                                  Sure, thank you for your input. I hadn't yet published it, but it is
                                  of course public from the blog.

                                  > Here's my opinions:
                                  > 1. I think different libraries accept different inputs, such as a byte array, a string, a inputstream or a reader, so the preparation of such input objects should be prepared in the warm up stage, not the running.

                                  Hmmh. I don't think I fully agree, but I agree in that it depends on use case.

                                  For me, the use case is always getting Json from an external source
                                  (network request, from file system), and hence input is naturally a
                                  stream of bytes. So if a library just takes a String, it must be
                                  constructed from bytes.
                                  I did give shortcuts for some parsers so that there was no need to
                                  read from the stream, so in a way some parsers benefited from the
                                  setup (from my perspective).

                                  It is possible that other use cases could be ones where a String would
                                  be needed anyway (like perhaps reading it from a DB), but for me this
                                  is not the case.

                                  > 2. I think the iteration of the resulting graph is not a part of the parser and should not be put in the run method, but some minor operations can be performed to verified that the result is a correct one.

                                  I think needs to be, because otherwise you can not do anything of use;
                                  and parsers could optimize away some processing.
                                  I don't think results would differ a lot though, most parsers do
                                  handle all the data independent of traversal. I can probably make this
                                  configurable to see what the difference is.

                                  > 3. Could you also help to test the SAX-like interface of JSON.simple in the way of JacksonDriverStreaming.java did?

                                  Ah yes. Apologies for not trying it out -- I forgot that json.simple
                                  does in fact have a streaming interface. I can add that, and make it
                                  the main interface.

                                  > I think your work will definitely help to improve the qualities of all JSON libraries.

                                  Thank you, and thanks for feedback!

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 20, 2009
                                    On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Fang Yidong <fangyidong@...> wrote:
                                    > Sorry this message is intended to send to Tatu only. My bad.
                                    > Since the result is not published yet, let's discuss it privately.

                                    (took the discussion offline, but if anyone is interested in what
                                    results we are discussing, those are at:

                                    http://www.cowtowncoder.com/blog/archives/2009/02/entry_204.html

                                    I will be making some updates; and if any owners of other packages
                                    have suggestions, let me know as well. Benchmarks are hard to do well
                                    with different use cases and emphasis, so at least I want to document
                                    presumptions and biases.