Re: [question] parse json with ajax

  • genzoeri
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
      I will use this for my AJAX. Using responsetext properties from XHR.
      :) ok,then how to parse, {"depth1":{"depth2":{"depth3":"content"}}} ??
      btw, thank you for your response. I am glad, I am on the right place.
      --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Cooper" <mfncooper@...> wrote:

      > On 8/14/07, genzoeri <genzoeri@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,I have difficulties to parse this json
      > > {depth1:{depth2:{depth3:'content'}}}
      >

      > That's not valid JSON, for two reasons:
      >
      > 1) Key names are strings, and must be quoted as such.
      > 2) Strings must be quoted with double quotes, not single quotes.
      >
      > See http://json.org/ for the JSON specification.
      >
      > --
      > Martin Cooper
      >

      > how to get the 'content'?? using ajax?
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mark Ireland
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
        Key names must be quoted and cant start with a number?Is that right?To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom: mfncooper@...: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:11:32 -0700Subject: Re: [json] [question] parse json with ajax

        On 8/14/07, genzoeri <genzoeri@...> wrote:

        > Hi,I have difficulties to parse this json
        > {depth1:{depth2:{depth3:'content'}}}

        That's not valid JSON, for two reasons:

        1) Key names are strings, and must be quoted as such.
        2) Strings must be quoted with double quotes, not single quotes.

        See http://json.org/ for the JSON specification.

        how to get the 'content'?? using ajax?

      • Michal Migurski
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 15, 2007
          On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:34 PM, genzoeri wrote:
          > I will use this for my AJAX. Using responsetext properties from XHR.
          > :) ok,then how to parse, {"depth1":{"depth2":{"depth3":"content"}}} ??
          > btw, thank you for your response. I am glad, I am on the right place.

          This should help:
          eval("var responsejson = (" + responsetext + ");");
          alert(responsejson['depth1']['depth2']['depth3'];

          On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:58 PM, Mark Ireland wrote:
          > Key names must be quoted and cant start with a number?Is that right?

          Yes.

          -mike.

        • Philip Tellis
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15, 2007
            On 15/08/07, Michal Migurski <mike-jsonphp@...> wrote:

            > This should help:
            > eval("var responsejson = (" + responsetext + ");");
            > alert(responsejson['depth1']['depth2']['depth3'];

            Ugh, don't do that. Apart from screwing with the scope of
            responsejson, it also causes a security problem, and it's overkill.
            If you must use eval, do it this way:

            var responsejson = eval( "(" + o.responseText + ")" );

            That won't take away the security problems with eval, but it will make
            sure that responsejson is in current scope.