RE: [json] Re: json date time objects

  • Mert Sakarya
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11 10:19 PM
      Hi,

      JSON does not support either datetime object or function object. Look at BNF on http://www.json.org/ how "value" is defined.
      It contains, ["string", "number", "object", "array", "true", "false", "null"]. On this definition "object" is a JSON object (where you can find the definition above "value"), not a Javascript object.

      Although you can freely add something like new Date(2007, 7, 12, 0, 0, 0) or function(x,y) {return x+y;}, this makes that document a Javascript document (where you can eval), not JSON document.

      Mert

      To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom: bruce.hubbard33@...: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:32:28 +0000Subject: [json] Re: json date time objects

    • Mert Sakarya
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11 10:22 PM
        You can write any date data as a string in a JSON document, then if you are using Java, C# or Javascript (or any other), you can use that language's, DateTime functions to convert.

        To: json@yahoogroups.comFrom: prasannarupan@...: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:10:15 +0000Subject: [json] Re: json date time objects

        Does this mean that Date objects created using new Date() can be directly mapped to Java Objects? Can the date object created this way be formatted into different date time formats?please let me knowThanks--- In json@yahoogroups.com, "brucehub33" <bruce.hubbard33@...> wrote:>> --- In json@yahoogroups.com, "rkmr.em@" <rkmr.em@> wrote:> >> > Does JSON support a datetime object?> > > > thanks> > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> >> you can put whole functions in a json object if you like. So in short > yes just make a new Date() object within you JSON object.>

      • Stephen M. McKamey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 12 6:51 AM
          Basically Dates are encoded as ISO 8601 strings by default (but this
          can be customized), and a "hook" or callback function allows you to
          deserialize them (or any other node for that matter) during parseJSON.

          Functions are strictly not allowed in JSON as they are potentially
          meaningless to other languages as well as a potential security risks.

          There has also be some debates about Dates a couple of times before,
          which resulted in the above solution. Check out some of these threads
          for more info:

          --- In json@yahoogroups.com, Mert Sakarya <mertsakarya@...> wrote:

          > You can write any date data as a string in a JSON document, then if
          you are using Java, C# or Javascript (or any other), you can use that
          language's, DateTime functions to convert.

          > To: json@...: prasannarupan@...: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:10:15
          +0000Subject: [json] Re: json date time objects